“Nice bar seating”

The Second Line
Ranked #57 of 1,497 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Where Cooper meets Monroe and Louisiana meets Memphis. From cocktails to gulf seafood to zeal for life, this is who everyday New Orleans really is.
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We checked out Second Line while waiting for our reservation time at Iris. Two spots at the bar, some cocktails and the BBQ shrimp appetizer- all very good! The place was packed so the volume level was elevated but not awful. The crowd to get a table was about ten deep the whole time we were there. Very cute and comfortable setting. I would try to come back and eat dinner if I ever visit Memphis again.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Mediocre to say the least. I ordered the special which I was told was a shrimp salad but it turned out to be 2 small lettuce leaves and some large lovely shrimp that turned out to be tasteless in some bland pink sauce. The cheese fries faired a bit better but the fries were really mushy. This is not what I expected. The place was very crowded and very loud. The only bright spot was the waitress was very pleasant. I won't return or recommend.

1  Thank rockytopmemphis
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have eaten at The Second Line twice within 30 days. On our first visit, they didn't have the liquor license yet, so that gave us an excuse to go back. We ordered a variety of items to sample on our first visit...The Brignole Salad, the Roasted Beet & Feta Shwarma, Andouille, Crawfish & Pimento Cheese Fries and we shared a Shrimp Po'boy. In my honest opinion, I can get a better po'boy from the food truck that sometimes sits outside Wiseacre...seriously. While The Second Line Po'boy has sizeable shrimp, it just didn't wow me the food truck ones...which I crave. The Brignole salad was strange and a bit disappointing, even though I was sure I'd like it, with all the ingredients in it. I just didn't get it. The Fries were probably the highlight of that meal. On our 2nd visit, the bar was open, so we tried some cocktails. We ordered the fries again and the Happy Enchiladas, which were amazing. The BBQ shrimp, also tasty. "The Fancy A$$" Coleslaw and the Brignole Salad (this time my husband ordered it). I think this restaurant will find it's footing and evolve overtime and maybe I'll eventually hold it in the same light that I hold Restaurant Iris.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I ate here for the first time, this past Saturday night. (They don't take reservations-First come, first serve) The atmosphere, food, and service were spot on. We started with a couple of appetizers- the BBQ shrimp and the enchiladas. The shrimp were good but the enchiladas were excellent. For my entree, I chose the chicken thigh Po'boy. It was fantastic! This is the place to go in Memphis, if you like Po'boy's. There is a great variety of Po'boy's and I look forward to going back, and trying a different one. My wife and I had a great experience, from beginning to end, at The Second Line. I am happy to say....I can recommend this restaurant, to my friends a tripadvisor. Bon Appe'tit!

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

While enjoying a beer across the street at Boscos a friend suggested we eat at The Second Line. Even though it was a long wait we decided to give it a try when we found out it was Kelly English's restaurant. We ordered the crab hushpuppies which were overcooked and the meat pies which were quite good. For my entree I got the fried shrimp with the "hot" potato salad and onion rings. The shrimp was excellent! The potato salad was a bit spicy for my taste but my hubby liked it. The onion rings were pretty good too. My husband ordered the gumbo. When the gumbo was delivered lukewarm we really questioned how the kitchen would allow that to happen. When the gumbo heated properly it was good. It is heavy on okra if that is what you like. The cornbread was just okay. The bread pudding was delicious. My husband really lost interest when his food was delivered cold!