“Just had to”

Main Street Trolley
Ranked #1 of 5 Transportation in Memphis
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My youngest loves trains and the like, so we had to ride the trolley. We took the full downtown loop for $1 each. It was very fun for the kids.

There are newer reviews for Main Street Trolley

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were so exctied because the Trolley had a pick up right outside of our hotel - but after a few hours we discovered that the trolley did not run on time. It was supposed to run every 10 minutes - we waited for 20 minutes at one stop, then decided to walk the 10 blocks instead of waiting for the trolley. At block 5, one finally came around. I guess if you are not in a hurry to get anywhere this would be an ok mode of transportation, but do not count on it to get you to your destination in a timely manner.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I love the trolley., They are convenient, quick, safe, and affordable. You will find a mix of locals, tourists, and a few homeless characters. Don't be alarmed, they are very friendly and the drivers won't allow anybody to harass you. Parking in Memphis can be pricey, and the streets are horribly bumpy. Save time, money and a headache by taking the trolley. Save $$$ by buying an unlimited ride pass for $$3.50 instead of paying a dollar each stop. Then you can get on and off at your leisure. I recommend taking the trolley along the entire circle of each route for a full tour of the city at a great cost. Don't waste your money on the tour busses. You will see the same stuff and the locals are eager to point out interesting spots. Also you can get on and off when something interests you and on the guided tours you are stuck on their schedule. You can get the unlimited ride passes from te main MATA station on 3rd, or from any driver on the trolley. You have to ask for them. They do not post them for sale, but they all have them. It is an insider tip!

2  Thank LaShelle2
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had a day in Memphis to visit Graceland and ride the trolley.

I chose to drive from Graceland and park near the Cleveland Avenue terminus of the Madison Avenue line. It was surprisingly easy to find a parking spot about two minutes walk from the trolley stop.

The Madison Avenue line runs from the Medical Center to Main Street terminating at the South Court station/stop. It probably hasn't got a lot of general tourist appeal but was a good ride.

The Main Street line is the principal trolley route. There are two services; the Main Street line runs in both directions from the North End Terminal to Central Station. The North End terminal is the main interchange with local bus routes but doesn't have much tourist appeal. I was surprised how quiet it was in Memphis on a sunny Monday afternoon in April.

The Riverfront line is a circular route that runs along Main Street from south to north than doubles back on a private right of way (a former railroad line) that parallels the Mississippi River. It is probably the quietest part of the line with only five stops between North End Terminal and Central Station.

However, for trolley enthusiasts (like me!) and, no doubt, general tourists, the ride along this section is exhilarating with the trolleys opening up to full parallel (top speed). Riding the 90 year old Melbourne tram along this section was a wonderful experience. Similar trolleys (trams) have not operated in Melbourne since 1987. At the same time, it's fair to say the trolleys in Memphis are showing signs of tiredness (they work very hard!) and could do with an overhaul.

The fare is $1 for a single ride. I discovered a day pass is available for all Memphis public transport for $3.50 and that was good value for me hopping off and on at different stations along the lines.

The area around Central Station is slowing coming back to life after almost being abandoned in the 1960s and 1970s. One of the attractions is the Arcade Restaurant that has been trading continuously since 1919.

2  Thank Paul_in_Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

What a great way to see the downtown area of Memphis. The conductors were nice and helpful giving us directions. We really enjoyed the trolley, cheap too! One of our rides was like a party train. It was packed and we were singing and laughing. One man started singing "The Gambler" and we all started singing the chorus, lol. A trolley full of strangers just having a great time, enjoying the company of one another. This was truly a stolen moment; good times. I suggest you take a ride on your trip to Memphis. I forgot to mention the view of the Mississippi river - breathtaking. God is an awesome creator. It was beautiful to see the daylight settling into a night sky on the water. Nice.

3  Thank HiDilly