“Rainy Day Fun”
Review of Pink Palace Museum

Pink Palace Museum
Ranked #41 of 161 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pink Palace Museum is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the Southeast. You can walk through a replica of the first self-service grocery store in the country, Clarence Saunders' Piggly Wiggly. Explore the cultural and natural history of the Mid-South through exciting exhibits, dioramas, and audio-visuals. Trace Memphis' development from the time of Spanish explorers through the Civil War and the yellow fever epidemics. Learn from the award-winning medical exhibit how health care grew to be Memphis' largest industry.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went on a rainy day primarily to see the Native American Basket exhibition which was a good overview but needed a bit more information. The IMAX movie on Ice Age animals was very good. It had enough facts for the parents and roaring animal recreations for the kids in the audience. We went through the rest of the museum just because it we had paid for it and were pleasantly surprised. There was enough to keep three adults interested for a couple hours. Fine, detailed exhibits on the history of Memphis from the early oceans through dinosaurs, civil war, invention of the supermarket,scary early medical and dental equipment and Victorian sitting rooms. The other wing has some old exhibits from the original museum hokey and fun. They have a large poster explaining why a science museum can't tout creationism. Radical for Tennessee.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"dinosaurs"
in 79 reviews

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went there many years ago when I was in Jr. High, and it was great to go back with my wife and children now. You can see everything in one day, but it will be a loooong day! We had a blast!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you like history then this is a must see. From the dinosaur age to the civil war era. It was nice walking around at your own leisure and if you feel like a snack the cafe located inside is nice as well.

1  Thank Paradise079
Reviewed March 31, 2013

To be fair, this is more of a "grouping" of museums and attractions. I understand the naming of the "Pink Palace" due to history, but this campus has a natural history and science museum, an IMAX, and a planetarium. We had a great time going through the geology and science exhibits. I loved the Native American artifacts, although there weren't as many as I was anticipating. We did the "Visions of a Spring Night" show at the Sharpe Planetarium; they were having some problems with the machine, and it was very crowded, but it was suitable (I've been to the Adler, so it is hard to compare any planetarium!) We had a good time, and the price was excellent...$14.25 a person for the museum and the planetarium show. The cafe had some great coffee, and the museum store had a lot of nice scientific toys and such.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were amazed by the quality and quantity of the exhibition at the museum part. It is not a museum with a lot of original collection, but the design is simply super. It cleverly uses replicates to demonstrate natural history, with the real stuffs from local finds. I myself loved the medical and social history upstairs. I learned so much about Memphis there.

But we really did not like the mansion that much. The exhibition on ethnic composition of Memphis and the politics in late 19th century and the first half 20th century is quite shallow. We had to search for internet to link what we have learned at Stax and the Yellow fever exhibition at the Pink.

With that said, we still like to give this museum a 5 star. It is not any inferior to those grand museums we've visited in other bigger cities such as NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, SF, or SD. I think the Pink palace really has its own way to excel.

1  Thank DHHK

Been to Pink Palace Museum? Share your experiences!