“Pink Palace and Elvis”
Review of Pink Palace Museum

Pink Palace Museum
Ranked #25 of 155 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pink Palace Museum is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the Southeast. You can walk through a replica of the first self-service grocery store in the country, Clarence Saunders' Piggly Wiggly. Explore the cultural and natural history of the Mid-South through exciting exhibits, dioramas, and audio-visuals. Trace Memphis' development from the time of Spanish explorers through the Civil War and the yellow fever epidemics. Learn from the award-winning medical exhibit how health care grew to be Memphis' largest industry.
Miami Gardens, Florida
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Pink Palace and Elvis”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wanted to see the museum since they had a display of Elvis and Dino's. Been hooked on dino's since a baby. Mom took me to Chicago Natl History museum to see them at 1 1/2 yrs of age and guess I liked them. Mom bought me a metal set and I still have them 62 years later. The dino's were great and you got close to them. The pictures of Elvis were different than you normally see. They also had a area of old Tenn with displays. Learned a lot and it was very interesting. Didn't realize the museum was the home of Piggly Wiggly so guess that why the pink like a pig. Kinda disappointed it wasn't painted pink? They also have a Imax but didn't do that.

1 Thank dirtyhouse48

Surfers Paradise, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Well I thought I was going to see the renovated home of the piggly wiggly founder but then soon found it was a museum for lots of different things which is not bad but just didn't tickle my fancy so I'd say it wasn't my favorite stop on our holiday but certainly has something for everyone.

1 Thank Rachelj4745
South Dakota
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Reprieve from a Hot Afternoon”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

What a delightful surprise -- something for everyone here -- and a great way to spend an over-100-degrees afternoon in Memphis. Particularly memorable to us were the well-done exhibits on Memphis history (Native Americans, Spanish discovery, Civil War, epidemics, medical, etc.); nice collection of fossils, geodes, and skeletons; Wertheimer photographs of Elvis (temporary); miniature circus; and Piggly Wiggly walk-through.

One odd wing of the mansion features puzzling empty space (perhaps more suited for events rather than everyday museum goers), but was flanked in the beginning with vintage attire and a shrunken head at the end.

We used a buy one, get one coupon from a Memphis tourist magazine, but would not have felt cheated had we paid full price. We did pay an additional small fee to see one of the Sharpe Planetarium shows, about 1 hour in length and partially narrated in person by an astronomer (professional or amateur was unclear). Unfortunately, this show could have been more polished and did not match our previous experiences at other planetariums. The equipment and screen, however, were top notch.

Parking was easy and free. Restrooms were clean. Gift shop was so-so. We did not partake of the Imax and small cafe. AMEX not taken as payment.

Visited July 2012
Hamilton
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Alot more than we expected”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

When I first heard the name "Pink Palace" i thought something gawdy. Far from it. A beautiful mansion with a museum/imax/planetarium add-on. Well worth the money for what you get. Staff are beyond knowledgeable and very pleasant and approachable. Gift shop was full of items of interest and the restaurant food was excellent. Parking was free and the grounds of the estate were amazing. Well worth to spend an entire day.

Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Gorgeous place for a wedding rehearsal dinner!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Southern hospitality, cocktails and grilled salmon among Elvis artifacts and a GI-HUGE-ic T-Rex!? Need I say more? I think not.