“Good BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Havent been in a while but the food was always good as expected from a Memphis BBQ joint. Would go back again for sure.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was in Memphis for the Beale Street Music Festival. I was hungry (again). What to eat for dinner? Yeah, I know, I have eaten bbq already twice this trip...but then, I am in Memphis. So I drove over to Neeley’s BBQ - the one on Jefferson Street - a place that my wife and I visited one time previously a few years ago. I didn’t want to eat the same stuff as last time (brisket) so I ordered their smoked turkey along with potato salad and macaroni & cheese. I drank some un-sweet tea. $17.00.

Downsides: 1) I could have used more sauce on my smoked turkey and 2) They serve their food in plastic baskets, the meat being placed on a layer of waxed paper - unfortunately, the act of cutting up the meat quickly turns this piece of paper into shreds.

All in all, pretty good; I’d go back again. NOTE: I read just recently that both Memphis locations are closed for "remodeling". That sounds suspicious to me - why would you close both places at the same time if, in fact, all you were planning to do is remodel?

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We all have our likes and dislikes, but for us we were happy. Waiters and Waitresses are very sensative to customers personalities. Sort of a mirror image, if you know what I mean.

1  Thank Bernard K
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Before arriving in Memphis I saw a Drive-ins, Diners, and Dives segment about Neely's. I had also seen some if their cooking shows on TV. But what a disappointment. Our waiter was not exactly happy or helpful. We ordered a sampling platter which was smothered with generic tasting BBQ sauce. It seemed to have been cooked a day or two before and reheated. We left most of it. We should have listened to our hotel's recommendation against it.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stop at the Neely's BBQ in the Memphis airport everytime I am changing planes in Memphis. Even the BBQ in the darn airport is as good as the best BBQ in most towns! I have never been to the main restaurant in Memphis, but it defintely is on my to-do list one day.

2  Thank Wedgewood