“Great Étouffée ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of King's Palace Cafe

King's Palace Cafe
Ranked #37 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Kings Palace Café located at 162 Beale Street, has the old time Beale Street atmosphere of good food and good music. King Palace Café has a large dining room and a lazy outdoor patio, also the Jazz Room for live Blues and Memphis Music nightly. Open For Lunch And Dinner 7 days and nights a week. Kings Palace Café serves Cajun cuisine ranging from Shrimp & Crawfish Etouffee, Blackened Catfish, Voodoo Potatoes, and many more. They also have pasta dishes, such as Shrimp Velvet, which is large butterfly shrimp on a bed of linguini with a mildly spiced cheddar cheese sauce, and many more pasta choices. Don't forget the Meat! King's Palace Café has Memphis Style (hickory smoked) BBQ Ribs, and New York Strips, Bacon Wrapped Filets, and Salmon Steaks (which are lightly smoked and grilled to perfection).
“Great Étouffée ”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

The shrimp and crawfish étouffée was the best I've ever had. I don't even usually get it but loved it. The gumbo was also very good and they tout as an award winner 20+ years. The restaurant is neat and has a guideline vibe. The doorman was friendly and did a good job getting us in however the waitress service was very slow and weak. She never checked on us and was gone quite a while when we finished and wanted to pay so we could leave. I'd definitely recommend if you like Cajun food. Prices weren't real cheap but not too bad.
So

1 Thank Banny9949

• Korean first
Elmira, New York
“Waiter misled me”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The waiter was working the front door because it was early and not busy. He lured me in with (1) a free sample of gumbo ( 2) talk about the musician who he said was great and (3) a promise of 1/2 price beer and gumbo because it was happy hour

The result:

(1) Gumbo was great
(2) Musician set up and played one song (very well) then took a break long so the other waiter could get orders from a big tour group.
(3) I was charged full price for the beer and gumbo. When I asked the waiter said "That's only if you sit at the bar." I never heard of such a thing. As far as I'm conserned he lured me in by lying to me, thus the low rating.

Also, I ordered the catfish and it didn't taste like catfish. I've eaten alot of catfish, which I like. The fish tasted like a plain whitefish, like cod or tilapia, which I don't like.

• Visited October 2013
Bengaluru, India
“Good food and music on Beale street”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Decor wise nothing much to talk about, but gives a warm feeling on an autumn evening, thats when we visited. Had a go at decent local brew beer and it was good. As a ritual, we started with their Gumbos and not to my taste, but I think it was ok with chunks chicken, crawfish and all. Then we had a southen style fried tomatoes and it was quite interesting with the dip served with that. I had a southen style catfish for the main course, fish was really good. Service was good, we got our order in time (It was tuesday night, not much people around). Also live music adds to atmosphere and overall it was good evening spent with colleagues.

• Visited October 2013
Virginia
“Exceptional Respite on Beale Street”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Kings Palace is not beautiful, but their inside quarters are clean and the wait staff are all attentive. We had great salads for a late lunch and went back later for dessert. The bread pudding is the bomb! We did not have them, but the ribs are rated third best in Memphis.

• Visited November 2013
ashland, ky
“Adequate.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was a last-minute choice when we found out our planned destination was closed Mondays! There was no music on site that night, but the atmosphere was nice and cozy, so we were talked into stopping there. Not really that great. The ribs were OK, the gumbo was good, but nothing else in the combo meal we ordered was really worth eating. Pulled pork was dry and potatoes were bland and lumpy. Anyway, there's better eating available even on Beale St!

• Visited November 2013