“Place has really taken a turn for the worse!”
Review of Half Shell

Half Shell
Ranked #126 of 1,692 Restaurants in Memphis
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Memphis institution, the original Half Shell opened in 1973 on the northwest corner of Poplar Avenue and Mendenhall in east Memphis. Ten years later, in order to have more space, we moved across the street to our current location at 688 S. Mendenhall. On February 12, 2003 our first expansion took place with the opening of The Half Shell at Southwind, located at 7825 Winchester Road in southeast Memphis. The Half Shell has won numerous awards in The Commercial Appeal, Memphis Magazine and The Memphis Flyer, including first-place awards for Best Seafood for 2017-18. As a proud member of the Memphis community, the Half Shell supports and participates in a wide variety of charity events, such as Soup Sunday, the Empty Bowls Project and Cirque du CMOM. Come and experience our award-winning cuisine, featuring fresh seafood and New Orleans-inspired fare.
Reviewed April 28, 2019

I've been coming here for decades and there has been a marked decline over the past 5 years or so. So much so, I've pretty much decided to find a new monthly meeting place for lunch, plus an occasional HH as well.

The food seems a little dated to me. But the food, as a stand alone, isn't really the sticking point.

I normally sit at the bar with a friend or two, and when Sharon or Mike are there it works well. However, the semi-recent addition of Kim is one HUGE step in the wrong direction. He obviously wasn't trained by Sharon/Mike. Either that or he didn't pay attention, and this is probably closer to home.

Had lunch there last week and what a complete turn-off Kim was. I got there early, and as long as I was the only one sitting at the bar it was OK. But just as soon as a few of his 'more regular' customers came in, I, for all pratical purposes disappeared.....And I would like to note this is, I think, my 3rd experience with Kim.

I had the gumbo, which is always pretty good, and then waited 20 minutes to order - not be asked if I wanted anything mind ya - the 1/2 & 1/2 oysters, which were also pretty good.

Lastly, I couldn't help but notice, the entire restaurant was less than half full and I assure you, 4+ years ago, this would be unheard of on a Thursday! But apparently ownership hasn't noticed. Unfortunately, I have.

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

There with our friends on a rainy Saturday night to wish our friend a Happy Birthday.
He is past 70!! This was between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. Fried oysters were ordered and not up to the Half Shells high standards.
We settled with our waitress and moved to the bar to enjoy our celebration.
My husband asked for his 3rd beer when the bartender said the general had cut us off. After a chat with the same bartender we have known for years said someone was accused of touching the waitress on the hips.
We are all seniors and graciously left because being falsely accused is something we will walk away from.
But, we will get answers later.
We have enjoyed the Half Shell for 30 plus years but be cautious.
We don't have to go back but it's very sad for someone to accuse and we have no idea who!

Reviewed April 13, 2019

We had a group of ten the evening we visited The Half Shell. The food was all very tasty and our server did a wonderful job even though she had two large tables of ten and Twelve as well as several other four tops. We would recommend The Half Shell.

Reviewed April 13, 2019

After 10pm there are not many kitchens open in East Memphis. The kitchen is open till 1am. Had a hungry group of musicians to feed. We had Louisiana catfish with sides as well as poboys & oysters. Fed 8 people for about $200 including tip. Some of us had beers from the great selection.

Reviewed April 9, 2019 via mobile

A local recommended and we were quite happy he did. The king crab bisque was absolutely outstanding. Definitely a recommendation. I also had the “Fat boy” Which was blackened shrimp, fried oysters and crawdad tails. It was served with a Remoulade on a hoagie roll. It was excellent. The place was completely full and our server was a little bit rushed at first. She settled in though, and was super friendly the rest of the night. With two bowls of soup, two full entrées and two beers, the meal was $50. It was quite the value given the quality of the food

Date of visit: April 2019

Been to Half Shell? Share your experiences!