“First night in Memphis and we wanted BBQ”
Review of Blues City Cafe

Blues City Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blues City Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,459 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2ND STREET
Transit: Bus and Taxi pick up and drop off are done directly across the street from our front door along with a Trolley Stop about one block away.
Greenville, South Carolina
“First night in Memphis and we wanted BBQ”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

My wife and I wanted BBQ and we were on Beale St so we went to Blues City Cafe known for great BBQ.
WE were lucky we got there before 7 pm because it starts to get very crowded. WE walked in and were seated. The restaurant is set up with tables and the cooking kitchen in the front room, a second room has a bar and more tables.Our server came over and explained the menu and what she thought was the best way for us to get to try a few different things. We ordered drinks and they came back just how we asked for them and we ordered a rib and catfish dinner. Even though the place is busy we never felt rushed so we could enjoy our food and be comfortable.Both dinners come with 3 side so we had the beans, fries, cold-slaw and mac n cheese. The ribs were plentiful as was the catfish. Ribs are slow cooked and fall of the bones, I asked for them to be served with the sauce on the side, my wife's catfish was a full plate of delightfully breaded fish. The breading is not thick so you're able to taste the fish. We finished our food and sat around drinking our drinks and relaxed after eating a big meal, never feeling like we had to rush away. The food is good, the place is great and you'll be looking around trying to see what art work is on the walls and what some of the signs say. Someone wrote the food is good, but not remarkable and we'd agree with that, but it's a cool fun place with good food so check it out.

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Great authentic grub!”
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

I passed by this place when I was waking down Beale St with my friends. It doesn't look fancy or anything special from the outside (which is why we initially walked past it), but go inside! Luckily I did. I ordered the fried chicken and my friend had the gumbo cheese fries. Both were delicious! Probably some of the best fried chicken I've had so far. And if you're a health freak.. They don't use ANY trans fat! The service was also good. Friendly, fast and knowledgable (about the food).

If you want authentic southern food in an even more authentic setting, head to Blues City Cafe. Delicious.

Springfield, Missouri, United States
“Cheese fries are HUGE”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I thought I was getting something small but it was MASSIVE. It was very good, but go hungry! Wish they would serve their pork on a bun.

Visited August 2014
Riverview, Florida
“It was good.”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

The Blues City Cafe has a great vibe and feel. The food was good, but not remarkable. One standout was the apple dumpling served in a small cast iron skillet...YUMMY!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Kathy H
North Carolina
“I love this joint!”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I travel with my job, and sometimes stop in Memphis for the night. Everytime I stop, I visit the Blues City Cafe. If you are travelling alone, Beale Street can be intimidating, along with the line of people at the door on the corner to get in here. Here's the trick...ease up front and ask to sit at the bar. They'll take you to the back where you're seated at a older bar, elbow to elbow with your neighbors, looking at the sports on the big screen. Drink service is quicker here, and most of the time, your ribs arrive quicker too. I've had a few times where I have been seated, eat, and then got up to leave before people that were in line with me even got inside.

Get the ribs...you won't regret it!

• Visited January 2014