“Ribs & Gumbo hold the sides”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blues City Cafe

Blues City Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blues City Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2ND STREET
Transit: Bus and Taxi pick up and drop off are done directly across the street from our front door along with a Trolley Stop about one block away.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Ribs & Gumbo hold the sides”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were pulled into Blues City Café by the "man on the street." He promised great ribs. We were not disappointed, Don't waste your time at Rendezvous, the ribs here are the real deal. The Gumbo was some of the best we have ever had as well. However, the sides (beans and cole slaw) do not deserve to be on the same plate. Really subpar, tasted like someone just opened a can. Go for the large and tell them to hold the sides! Cool ambience and great service.

• Korean first
“Very good BBQ”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Very good ribs. We had the ribs and catfish combo - both were very good. I also tried the gumbo and really enjoyed the flavor. The service was very good. I would definitely recommend giving B.B.C. a try.

Visited January 2014
Cary, il
“rockabilly dinner”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We pulled into Memphis on New Year's Eve and went straight to the Blues City Cafe for some BBQ and great music. Instead of sitting next door at the Cafe, we bellied up to the bar next door at the Band Box which is their entertainment section. Same food, plus great bands. Tommy Lynn and Keith were the bartenders and our servers for the night. They really made the night a totally fun experience. Tommy Lynn was an outrageously energized personality. She hade great suggestions for our BBQ dinner suggesting the "Best Ribs on Beale Street, some garlic shrimp and a catfish side. Her bar dancing was also a big hit.
Lets start with the food. Catfish-good but needed some seasoning. A bit bland for my taste. A bit of salt an some hot sauce did the trick. Garlic Shrimp- again good but nothing that blew me away. The star of the show were the ribs. I usually don't like fall off the bone ribs because they taste like all the flavor has been cooked out of them. These rib were fall off the bone but with a rich smoky flavor and a nice crisp coating of BBQ sauce and rub. Some of the best ribs I have ever had. And, I have had my share of ribs.

The two rockabilly bands offered some great music. Alot of Buddy Holly, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and the likes. This was one of the best New Year's Eves I have spent out. Beale Street was hoping. The entire staff was outstanding. Go experience this place for a great time.

Chapel Hill, Tennessee
“Best Steak Around!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was my third visit to The Blues City Café. I absolutely love this place for it's atmosphere. It's part dive, part old school dining. Friendly wait staff, eclectic dining habitat, awesome food! Went in to get the ribs this time. Decided I wanted a steak instead. Huge portion, cooked perfectly....please stick a fork in me, I am done!!! Quite possibly the best steak I have ever had and that is saying something! Came with a generous portion of new potatoes, bread and a house salad, You won't be able to eat it all. So good! This place wins my heart every time. Can't wait to come back!

Bristow, Virginia, United States
“Night out”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Good ribs, gumbo fries were a hit also. Staff was attentive although a little odd. We were seated right away although in the third sitting area which had low lighting difficult to read the menu. Very good would defibately go back.

Been to Blues City Cafe? Share your experiences!