“Oh my! Yet another great Memphis BBQ joint.”
Review of The Bar-B-Q Shop

The Bar-B-Q Shop
Ranked #39 of 1,509 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had lunch today in Memphis - a beautiful fall day, on my way to the King Biscuit Blues Festival. I was planning to go to one of the seven or eight barbecue joints there that I have already enjoyed a time or three. But I resisted that idea and tried a place that I had heard about but had not yet tried - the Bar-B-Que Shop on Madison Avenue. I was amply rewarded.

I ordered rib tips which came with two sides - barbecue beans and slaw. The menu states that rib tips are not always available and to ask. It was my luck day - they had them.

First, a word of caution - unless you are really, I mean REALLY hungry, get the small size order. These tips were most excellent: good flavor, good smoke and good bark. And more than plentiful. I would do these again in a New York minute.

And the sides were both good. The slaw was creamy but not overly so. The beans were really excellent. I'd have to put them in the same category as the beans at Thomason's BBQ in Henderson, KY.

Great service too. Carl was friendly, efficient and attentive (but not overly attentive, if you know what I mean).

With tax and gratuity, 24 bucks. I should point out that I was so pleased with the overall experience that I tipped 30% which is more than my usual 20%. I left with a smile on my face.

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We're regulars here and think very highly of the barbecue at this restaurant. There's no shortage of barbecue restaurants in Memphis but the BBQ shop stands out. The sauces have an extra kick to them, the ribs are fall of the bone tender but not slushy. The pulled pork sandwich is great and highly recommend the BBQ spaghetti. We usually get the boss slab order which is great for 2 people. Service is very friendly. Decor is basic and ambience is nothing super special but the simplicity works for this place. We keep going back!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The food is good, but I didn't find it special. It is a simple location with regular customers (unlike those restaurants that attract mostly tourists) and friendly service.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

For me, this is the best bbq in Memphis. Way better than Rendezvous, which is a downtown tourist-trap. Fantastic pulled pork sandwiches and the best sweet tea in town.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had to come back for another visit. Dined here for lunch, had chopped pork sandwich with slaw & daughter had brisket, slaw & fries which she devoured. I could only eat half of the sandwich as it was a lot of food so took home the rest. Found a parking spot out front. Service is friendly & efficient. The sauce is great not too spicy. As we are from Texas, we love our 'que & love trying new places to see how they do theirs. All of the sides are good. I like the atmosphere, just laid back & friendly. Not overpriced.
Will return to try the other items on the menu.