The Bar-B-Q Shop
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 13, 2012

BBQ is absolutely subjective. Ask 4 people in town for the best BBQ and you will get 5 different answers. In my own subjective opinion, The Barbecue Shop on Madison Avenue in Midtown is the best place for reliably good Memphis BBQ. The regular sauce is very tasty with just the right amount of sweet, smoke, and vinegar.

My recommendation is to try the pulled pork sandwich (w/slaw, of course) on Texas Toast. Get it with bakes beans and slaw or fries. A nice starter is the fried BBQ bologna with cheese and crackers. I don’t eat ribs, so I can’t comment on those.

Service is fine and the décor and atmosphere is solidly Memphis…not fancy or pretentious, but understated and authentic.

Tip- There is some on-street parallel parking in front and a good size parking lot in back behind the building.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We arrived about 5 pm on Sat. Had great expectations from reading all the reviews. To be fair every place can have an off night and this might have been one of them or our taste in BBQ is totally different. Service was excellent and beer cold.

My wife and I ordered and split the following: Chopped pork sandwich, onion rings, combo plate (not on the menu) sliced brisket and ribs(dry) with beans and cole slaw and finished with red velvet cake.

Both loved the sandwich, beans, onion rings and I think the best cole slaw I've ever tasted. Both thought the brisket and ribs were extremely dry. In fact one end of the ribs was so over cooked that I almost couldn't cut it into a smaller bite. In fact left it on my plate. The brisket had a great smokey flavor and nice bark and maybe just me but I didn't care for the extra dry rub placed on the ribs before serving. Seemed to over power the flavor of the meat. Not a big fan of their sauce.

The red velvet cake was nothing special and really a small slice for about $5.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a misunderstanding about the time of day a coupon would be honored. The restaurant honored it anyway. That spoke volumes to their integrity to me. We had so much food we all took boxes home.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Pure and simple, this is the Memphis BBQ that makes Memphis BBQ special. Friendly service, GREAT food. None better in all of Tennessee.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We (6) felt this was the best bbq in Memphis. Generous portions, melt in your mouth pure heaven. Brisket and ribs are top-notch as well as the sides. : ) Location is a little away from downtown, but worth going out of your way for a quality meal .