“Tops consistently delivers a great BBQ sandwich.”

Tops Bar-B-Q - Macon Rd
Ranked #324 of 1,493 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighborhood: Walnut Grove - Shelby Farms PD
Neighborhood: Walnut Grove - Shelby Farms PD
Reviewed July 22, 2013

When I fly into Memphis and head to Bartlett, I always stop first at this Tops BBQ for a delicious sandwich. These eateries have been around Memphis forever and have consistently delivered tasty fare for the local residents.

The exterior is dated and the places are usually busy and scruffy, but fear not, if you want a great lunch of BBQ, beans or fries, you are at the right place. Tops also does a bustling catering business and you can buy their delicious products in bulk.

Hint: If you are not in the mood for BBQ, their hamburgers are wonderful and cooked to order, so they take a few minutes extra.

4  Thank Goatesians

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I know this is pulled pork country, but I like to compare brisket sandwiches. I had the regular size...without the cole slaw, thank you (why mess up good barbecue.) The meat was tender and juicy, with a good flavor. The sandwich was somewhat small compared to my favorite places in Tennessee. The service lady seemed very bored with the whole thing; not at all welcoming. I may overlook the service attitude next time and try the larger brisket sandwich for comparison. Don't bother with the small one.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I found this place while staying across the road at the Days Inn. I found the food to be very good and thought the prices are very fair. Great sweet tea!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was surprised when my boyfriend decided to take me there for dinner. I had anticipated a fancier restaurant. I do not eat bar-b-que so I ordered a hamburger, with 2 sides. The potato salad was delicious. I ate it before I even touched the burger. The cole slaw was a bit too much like the potato salad (creamy) so I didn't finish it. The burger was big enough for me. The restaurant was run by all ladies and they were very nice. I was worried that the food might come back to bite me, but not so. It was good, very cheap and I would definitely go back if I'm in Memphis again.

1  Thank jackie d
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The BBQ is excellent, but they have great burgers as well.
The BBQ beans have BBQ meat chopped up in them. Potato Salad is good. I can't go to Memphis without eating at Tops.

1  Thank LittleRock25