“Good ribs, burgers”

Tops Bar-B-Q
Ranked #605 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
New Orleans, LA
“Good ribs, burgers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Don't know if it's the BEST BBQ I've ever had but it was pretty good! Ribs were solid, brisket was pretty good, sauce was good too. Burgers are seasoned and therefore pretty popular. Definitely suggest it.

Pacific, Missouri
“Was recommended to me. No longer take reccomendations from that person”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I travel frequently. I like to ask the locals what the best things are in town because it's not likely I'll be back. The person that recommended this place must not have liked me, or did not understand that I said the best things in town. Either way, this was one of the worst personal recommendations I have ever gotten.

I will preface my rant with the fact that I went during the busiest part of the lunch rush. That being said. The line wasn't extraordinarily long, but took quite some time to get through. That gave me plenty of time to get through their very small amount of menu choices. I've said this several times before, I don't mind places with a limited menu, provided they do the things that they have very well. They did not do very well. I ordered the brisket plate, with coleslaw, and baked beans. The beans were pretty clearly out of a can with maybe a little bit of pork thrown in after. The coleslaw was decent, but tasted like mustard (not a familiar flavor to me as far as coleslaw). The brisket, was by far the worst brisket I've ever had. It was tough and flavorless. The "sauce" that they put on it (didn't give me a choice of what kind or none at all), was some kind of bitter Carolina/thick KC paste. Not good. For this tragedy of a meal (and a soda), they charged me nearly 15 dollars. My soda was the only thing I was willing to take out of there with me.

Dont go here. I've heard that some of the other locations are better, but I dont know that if i made the trip back to Memphis I would bother. There are a lot better places.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Joseph R
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“it was good but could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

food was good but the seating area was dirty. It was a very busy place. I wish we had better customer service as well.

Visited March 2014
Ramsey, Minnesota
“Great B-B-Q”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were staying at the La Quinta and Tops Bar-B-Q is located just down the street. The parking lot was not busy and we wondered if it would be a good place to eat. While there the place filled with customers. You can eat there or take out. It is a very casual, small restaurant with booths, tables & chairs. The staff were friendly. The food is served on disposable plates along with plastic silverware. My husband had the bbq half rack of ribs with FF, cole slaw, beans & toasted bread. He thought the ribs were tender and tasty and the beans were good. I had the beef brisket plate along with cole slaw, potato salad & toasted bread. The brisket and potato salad were great. The cole slaw was a little bland compared to what we are accustom to. The meat serving size was very generous. The potato salad and cole slaw were served in small plastic containers which I thought looked skimpy, however in the end, there was more than enough. We were very full!

• Visited March 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Childhood Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I remember as a child the family going to Tops to buy skins and the pull pork sandwiches with slaw on top. They use to put skins in the oven at home and douce them down in hot sauce and go to town. I wish we had one of these here in Michigan. Every time I go home I make sure I go there soon as I touched down. The closest thing we have here to Memphis bbq is Famous Daves, which I rank second behind Tops