“No Longer A Veg.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
Ranked #4 of 1,429 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“No Longer A Veg.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Okay, my old roommate and I came to this location on a whim. We were driving through to a music festival and needed some good eats before we got to our campsite. I urbanspooned places and Gus' came up. As a vegetarian at the time, I was not about it. But I realized that sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do to help your friends out.

So we went. And then my diet changed forever. I was pressured into just trying "one bite" because it is, "the best chicken you'll ever put in your mouth." That's all I had on our first trip and some fried pickles. I started craving Gus' chicken so much that I broke my long stint of vegetarianism, demanded we go back, and mowed through some chicken.

Gus' is now on our list of places we HAVE to stop at when we're driving through Memphis. Period.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Kentucky
“The best fried chicken on earth!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

I would drive 500 miles at the drop of a hat to eat here. The fired chicken has no equal and the sides are almost as good. Just writing this review has me thinking about how and when I can get to Gus's next. It won't be long that I can tell you for certain.

Crystal River, Florida
“Lives up to the Hype!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

Finally a restaurant that lives up to the Hype! The crispy, slightly spicy chicken was very good especially dipped on the ranch dressing! and a real bargain too! Place was packed when we got there but we only waited about 20 minutes. Sweet tea was good, sides were good.

• Visited July 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Tasty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very tasty chicken at a good price! It is quite a small place and very popular which means it can get a bit hectic at times, but if you don't mind a bit of hustle and bustle I would definitely recommend this place. Also try a slice of pie- we got a slice of Chess pie and it was delicious!

• Visited June 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great spurge-best fried chicken!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I like my food with a little kick so I thought this spice mixture on the coating was perfect, but I did see some teary eyed customers who probably weren't used to it. We did get a chicken strip that seemed to be made differently and therefore not spicy. Thighs were the best and we happened to catch a lunch special written on the board outside their door. For$7 you got 2 thighs,2 drumsticks and 2 sides- what a bargain!!! And the service was awesome!! And the women's restroom was surprisingly clean and modern. Definitely worth the stop!

Visited June 2014