“Best Chicken ever”

Ranked #5 of 1,528 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have had alot of chicken in my life. My father once worked for a grocer and was paid in chickens. Needless to say, i didnt eat chicken for many years.
But Gus' Fried chicken tastes wonderfully different and the atmosphere is great.
I have lived in Memphis twice. We are only able to go to Gius' on special ocasions because of the long lines.
Gus's and Hodacks in St Louis are similar but very different in taste. Both are unique landmarks in their cities. Have had them both. I like Gus' in Memphis best. The one in Little Rock is not quit up to speed yet.
If you want to try some good southern fried chicken, Gus' is your place.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,421)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Gus' is consistently voted among the top fried chicken places in Memphis by the people who live in Memphis. Their chicken is a little too spicy for me, but most folks really like it.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Gus's earned a thumbs up from me , I had to try them after they appeared on the food Network (Diners -Drive ins and Dine)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I still have fond memories of their amazing chicken...simply the best chicken I have ever eaten. If you are in Memphis then this is a must-visit. Every major city should have one...I want a Gus' in the UK!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've been all around, ate at Gordon Ramsey's 3 weeks ago, and this is world class food. I am going to try out their Little Rock location. I can assure anyone going that the room is small, the people packed in there, famous as well (famous college basketball coach and tv commentator ate at the next table) that you will feel like something special is going on here and it is. The tables are almost shushed as the chicken arrives, you can see the chins getting wiped as those first bites leave the chicken grease running down. I can't wait to go back, the small room with people crowded in isn't because their slow, it's because the chicken is worth waiting for. The beans, slaw are excellent. My GF replaced her beans with French fries and we both sat in wonderment how they may have been the most perfect fries we have had in a restaurant in a long time. I tell you what, if Little Rock location is 1/3 as good, I'll be having them cater some chicken for parties at my house this summer!