“Best fried chicken ya'll ever put in ya mouth!”

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
Ranked #4 of 1,506 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by our taxi driver gwen from last minute cabs( highly recommended). Doesnt look great from outside bit dint hudge a book by its cover. I know it's not good for you but it sure is delicious. Breast of chicken crisp in outside moist & succulent on inside. Dark meat likewise & chicken tenders less spicy but delicious. Great atmosphere at 8pm, full of people enjoying good priced food. Well done Gus

Write a ReviewReviews (3,308)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had an amazing meal here, the chicken was delicious! Had Fred tomatoes and pickles for starter, and they were great! The fried chicken was absolutely amazing, we ate the whole lot! This is a definitely the place to go if you love fried chicken!!!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After all the hype I was kinda expecting that chicken as I knew it would be turned upside down. That didn't happen but it is good. Has wonderful spice but no burn. Would I travel to memphis just to eat here? No. Nor would I go across town just to get it but if Gus's and any other chicken place was side by side, Gus's would be my pick every time.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stumbled upon Gus' by chance during a day of sightseeing in Memphis. A quick check on the smartphone revealed the positive reviews. Gus' did not disappoint. After a 20-30 minute wait at 6PM (There is not a lot of seating), the hostess pointed us to a corner table with a grunt. No worries. Her antics fit with the diner vibe. The chicken was other-worldly... a bit spicy, but crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. As we sat and snacked on fried green tomatoes and pickles, we watched the process of tossing the large chicken pieces into the frier. The food was moderately-priced and the chicken was delicious.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

It's by far the best chicken we eat!!!!!
Very flavorful, tender & crunchy crest. All I can say is uhum uhum good. I live in Kansas City and Strouds was all I knew until now, Gus' puts them to shame!!!!!
Seasoning is excellent and the breading is perfict!