“Great Chicken!”

Ranked #4 of 1,468 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Mundelein, Illinois
“Great Chicken!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Yes the area is a bit dicey, but we were in a large group. The place looks like a large southern indoor picnic! We were seated fairly quickly considering it was busy. I started with the fried green tomatoes yummy. The chicken was crispy and juicy with a hint of spicy seasoning. I might be pushing my luck but I have yet to have a bad meal in Memphis.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Stephanie C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Overland Park, Kansas, USA
“We think it lives up to the hype!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We tried this on the way out of town and glad we stopped. Great service, great food! The chicken is all spicy style. We did not think it was over hot, but good spice. We arrived before opening and there was a line. But no problem getting service. Also my first time trying Chess pie. Guess I am sheltered. Everything we had was good. One of the juciest, crispiest chicken I've had in a long time. Very old school with the menu, and old school with the taste! Great value, too.

• Visited July 2013
Midwestern, Illinois
“Worth a stop! Very affordable & friendly, super-fast service.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

There is a parking lot beside the restaurant and street parking is plentiful. Upon arrival this place didn't look like much and there were very few cars there. When we went inside, however, the place was much larger than it looked and truly packed with customers! We lucked out and were able to find a table right away but I think it was the only one available. The food was good, but the service was even better. Our waiter was very friendly, very fast and very thorough. The atmosphere reminded me of a community picnic. It was very laid-back with checkered table cloths and plastic silverware. The price was less than that of my local KFC and the food was much better. There is a security guard who stands right outside the building and he is very friendly as well. We wouldn't hesitate to eat here again.

• Visited August 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Best Fried Chicken You Will Ever Eat”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Don't go by the looks of the place, either inside or outside. Don't give up waiting in line or you will miss the Best Fried Chicken that is made to order, hot and tasty every time. Once a year my son comes in from the Eastcoast and the first place we go from the airport is Gus'.

Visited August 2013
Saint Robert, Missouri
“Looked forward to stopping here the whole vacation!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We planned to stop here after seeing it on Food Network. We knew it would be good, but didn't imagine the chicken would be that good. When we walked in it was packed full and we had decided to get an order to go, but I'm glad we didn't. We were seated within 15 to 20 minutes and our waitress got our drinks and order pretty quickly. The food came out and my son and I had ordered 2pc white, but there were 3pcs on our plates. She said the breasts were a little small so she gave us an extra wing. It was fine by me because it was all so crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside with just enough spiciness. We will definitely go back next time we are driving through Memphis.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken? Share your experiences!