“Gus's”

Ranked #4 of 1,504 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Let me just say I like fried chicken but I dont love it. But we saw this on the travel channell it was in the top 10 of the 101 best places to eat so we tried it. We arrived at about 1pm and the line was out the door standing room only place was a mad house. We left and came back about 3pm walked right in and got a table only about half full on this day. Chicken was good I guess my expectations may have been out of line. Sides were OK staff was very friendly and service was great. Prices were reasonable 2 Breast dinners for 20 bucks.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,303)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Go early if you don't want to wait - or call ahead and get it to go. For me, once huge breast plus sides was more than enough. The chicken was crispy outside, moist and perfectly cooked inside. Our waitress remembered all six orders (drinks and meals), including special requests and appetizers, perfectly. Very impressive. BTW, if you go late, be prepared to wait and socialize - we ended up taking with two ladies visiting from Ohio and giving them tips on other Memphis sights.

On the minus side, the fried pickles are spears, not chips, which made them harder to share. And the fried green tomatoes had too much (tasteless) batter and too little tomato - I wouldn't recommend them.

Also, a friend who's been to several locations mentioned that each location has different side items - something to keep in mind if you're looking for something specific.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Gus's has good reviews and it doesn't disappoint!

We are from Western Australia and couldn't wait to get our hands on some southern fried chicken! The chicken here was awesome. Not oily or dry, cooked perfectly with good spice without being over the top.

We started with fried green tomatos with ranch sauce - never tried them before either but they were delicious.

We ordered a couple of pieces of chicken each and chose sides of collard greens and mash potatoes. I had never tried the greens before but they were really good. They had a smoky flavor to them and we added Tabasco chili vinegar suggested by our server to give them a kick that made them even better.

We walked from Beale street in less than 10 mins and didn't find the area to be dodgy at all.

Great service, good value. All that was missing was some background music! Enjoy!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were tripping our way through Memphis and some locals told us to go to GUS'. It was some of the best chicken any of us had ever tasted! The prices were reasonable and service was great. Can't wait to go back soon!!!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Based on the reviews and the line outside the front door, we just HAD to try this chicken. Well it was pretty good, not cooked enough for me...but I like my chicken WELL done. More like broasted than fried. The prices are very good. The sides weren't great, but okay. I tried it once, but I won't miss anything if I never have it again.