“pretty awesome chicken”

Ranked #4 of 1,481 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The fried chicken is always steaming hot and perfectly spiced. It simply cannot be beat. The sides are also very good. I recommend getting the large family packs and serving family style.

1  Thank Rushwaller

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I ate at Gus' this past weekend for the first time. I'm from this area & had never had the pleasure of eating here. I can't believe this place--the chicken isn't called "world famous" for nothing. It is seriously, the most incredible chicken ever. In all respect to my parents & grandparents, Gus' is right up there with the "best of all time". We drove from the Beale Street area as it was cold that night, but it's a short hop from all major attractions. We were seated shortly after arrival & eveyone (customers included) were so friendly & welcoming. We ordered Fried Green Tomatoes for our appetizer & it was served quickiy & hot. Excellent!!! Our chicken & sides were also served quickly, chicken was hot, and it was superb food. The slighly spicy seasoning on the chicken is divine, but it's a restaurant secret. The menu isn't extensive,nor are the decorations upscale. However, it is a clean, fabulous place. They have a niche that only Gus' World Famous Chicken can fill. It is extremely reasonably priced & I enjoyed this dining experience as much as I did in the finest restaurants. The food was just that good. My highest recommendation for Gus'. (My dinner companion was mighty fine, too:) Love this place & definitely will be back soon. Hopefully, with the same dinner companion :)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

In town on vacation and saw Gus' was in the top 5 of all Memphis restaraunts, had to go. I love going restaraunts that are ran out of old buildings, just adds atmosphere, especially when the food is good. It was noon on Saturday and we got the last of 2 tables, just in time. There was always someone waiting to be seated while we ate. Plenty of to go customers too. The waiter was very welcoming and asked if we had been there before, first visit. We started out with the fried pickles. They were good, but I prefer the chip size pickles, not the spears. I enjoy the batter ratio with the chips. We special ordered the chicken for certain pieces, instead of a combination. It did take some time between the appetizer and the main meal, but I did notice everyone waited. You know your are getting freshly cooked chicken, because the waiter even warned us it was hot. Much better than getting served chicken that sits under a heat lamp. Now, like the title, I am definetly not a chicken expert, but when I do crave chicken, I do like spicy. I had no complaints with the chicken, but I really didn't notice much spice. My taste buds may be used to spicy food, but my gf said she could not have gone much spicier. The chicken and the sides were good, along with the atmosphere, I would definetly try again.

1  Thank mawdooms
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Wow! That was the most amazing chicken. Spicy, juicy, fresh & tender with so much flavor - and not too much batter - or whatever they dip it in before frying. The slaw was real good and so were the beans. Beans & slaw - just the way I like 'em. Everything was so fresh and tasty. Will be back again!

1  Thank Suzanne V
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We walked from Beale st. and wasnt as close as we though. Was chilly and windy but saw this place on TV and had to go nice place not over the top and jukebox can't go wrong I played Al Green and Lauren Hill. Nice place and was with good company.

1  Thank KingFatty

Been to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken? Share your experiences!