“Awesome chicken at great price”

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
Ranked #4 of 1,504 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Crispy on the outside; moist, tender and delicious on the inside. I am not a fan of hot spicey food, but this chicken rock! Prices are do not include the "tourist tax". Really more of a locals place, nothing pretentious here, just great fried chicken at good prices.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,303)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you are downtown in Memphis, you need to try Gus's chicken. It was amazing. It is not a nice restaurant, but worth stopping by. It is close to the autozone park if you are going for a baseball game. The chicken has a spicy kick and wonderful!!!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We didn't have time to eat in, so we got some carry out. My, oh my...never had a better pieceof chicken! Spices leave a little tingle on my lips, making me want more. So glad our Segway tour guides recommended Gus's!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My friends and I stopped by Gus' after reading the reviews and seeing them featured on the food network. All 4 of us agreed that their chicken was fantastic and some of the best homestyle fried chicken we have ever had. It was seasoned with just enougfh spice to give it a little kick and was freshly prepared.
We also ordered the fried pickles and the fried green tomatos but were not anywhere near as impressed. They were a frozen product and fried to order. They were OK but would have been much better prepared fresh like the chicken.
The Gus' we dined at is located near downtown Memphis, a block away from the riverfront on Front street. The building was certainly nothing to write home about, actually more of a hole in the wall, but these are the kinds of places we enjoy as they usually have good home cooking.
Stop by Gus' next time you are in Memphis and get some Fried Chicken wirh fries. The price is also easy on the pocket book.

1  Thank philco214
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had the chicken tenders and fried green tomatoes. The tomatoes weren't the best hot, but great for leftovers! A line, but not more thna 15 minutes. A spicy take on a classic Southern fare, and I am from the North and am not disappointed!