“Great southern food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Little Tea Shop

Little Tea Shop
Ranked #2 of 38 Coffee & Tea in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Little Tea Shop is Memphis' oldest restaurant serving traditional Southern/comfort food.There is no pork in any dish we make which makes it not just delicious but more healthier as well.
Stuart, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great southern food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Highly recommend the fried catfish,greens and fried okra. The cornbread is perfect, not too sweet with a crispy exterior and melt-in-your-mouth insides. The service is lackluster, except from the owner who personally fried up the okra that our server had forgotten. But who cares about the little details when the food is this good?

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

“Unique Lunch Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Great atmosphere. Friendly Service . Excellent for lunch.

Visited April 2012
Seattle
“Best Restaurant in Memphis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Can't say enough about this great lunch only restaurant. The service, the incredible woman and staff who run it, the menu choices, the quality of the food. Do not miss this one. Only open 11-2pm, Mon to Fri.

Visited April 2012
Melbourne, Florida
“Disappointed, but still OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

I really wanted to give this place 5 stars, but it was not 5 star food. We went on a dreary Friday afternoon, so Soul Food was appealing to fill the belly!

For starts, we had coffee- which was good coffee, surprisingly. Usually diner coffee is bland at best (yes, I'm a coffee snob. I like it fresh, rich and dark). Then came the corn muffins. YUM! They were warm, moist, perfect. Worth going here for those muffins alone. I could have eaten 2 baskets full and not have been sick of them!

I ordered the White Bean Soup, skillet chicken pie I think it was called, with fried Okra and sweet potatoes. I was trying to decide between the Mac and Cheese and the Sweet Potatoes. The waitress suggested the potatoes, so I went that route. But she brought me a little cup of the Mac and Cheese- YUM! Just like my grandma and I make- no fake orange cheese here!! I liked the Mac and Cheese better than the sweet Potatoes, but they were also good. Sweet and savory. The Okra was also crispy and delicious, the best I've ever had. The downer in this meal was actually the skillet chicken. It arrived almost completely cold, as did my partner's French Fries and his chicken meal. His Lima Beans were well seasoned and warm, however. The Bean Soup is worth getting, especially if you will be dipping the corn bread into it. It was well seasoned, warm and delicious. Just a note that they do seem to use quite a bit of salt. I am not big on salt and everything was on the salty side.

For desert we ordered the Peach Cobbler with Ice Cream. It came without and we were told that they were out of Ice Cream. That was a bummer. The Cobbler was OK, not great. It was warm but without the ice cream was a bit bland and used canned peaches, not fresh.

All in all, it was a good meal, but not fall off the chair fantastic. The service was friendly but slow. Our soup arrived half way through our semi-cold meal, and our A La Mode Desert arrived with no A La Mode to be found!

If I ever found myself in Memphis again, I likely would go back and I would order the soup, the Okra, the Mac and Cheese, and lots of corn bread!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Memphis, Tennessee
“Classic southern comfort food like Grandma makes.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I hate to say too much about this place, because it's been our local secret for decades, and too many tourists will make it tougher for me to get it! No..It's not fancy. But you don't come here for decor. You come here for great Southern comfort food. The lunch plates are different every day, which I love. Last time I was there I had chicken and stuffing, and the chicken was so tender it literally fell off the bone with just a touch of my fork. Never had a bad meal there, and, trust me. I come from a family of great Southern cooks, and I'm picky! In this world of chain restaurants with no character, The Little Tea Shop will give you the Old South experience we all grew up with. If you visit Downtown Memphis, take a break from barbecue long enough to have lunch here. But don't wait for the end of your trip, because you'll want to go back at least one more time before you leave town.

• Visited March 2012