“I aspire to make Q this good”
Review of Payne's Bar-B-Que

Payne's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #81 of 1,476 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Loved the pulled pork. Wonderful crispy bits of bark with a sweet and slightly tangy sauce.
Huge portions... cheap prices... great owners.... Payne's been doing smokin right for generations.
I want some more right now.

There are newer reviews for Payne's Bar-B-Que

Reviewed March 30, 2013

and so do I and my husband. Before our trip, someone from Memphis recommended two places to us, one for tourists (Rendezvous) and the other for locals with two three branches in town. Apparently we would not go to the one for tourists. At our first dinner at Memphis, we were not impressed by the local one either. So in the last day, after having a surprisingly great experience at Pink Palace Museum, we decided to give Payne's a try. My husband read it at NYT. I had not tried any rib tips in the last 12 years in Madison. For whatever reason, even though rib tips was not listed in Payne's menu, I still asked. It was absolutely a right decision! The tips were so yummy, I started to think about ordering tips again in the future. My husband and son were very pleased at their pulled pork sandwiches. We also liked their slaws and beans. The day before at the other local place, we had talked about how disappointed at Memphis' BBQ and joked about not to mention it to the owner of our favorite BBQ place in Madison. But now, we can really say we come to Memphis for good BBQ. The price is reasonable and the food is excellent. We left Memphis happily! Oh, about those complaints on atmosphere and service in Payne's, It is a BBQ joint!

1  Thank DHHK
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great chopped pork sandwich with a good slaw. No frills, dimly lit place with the smell of smoking meat permeating the place. Get your fix and go!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My favorite BBQ place in Memphis...much better and cheaper than the Rendezvous. You don't go to Payne's for a luxury dining experience - the restaurant itself is part of the charm, but it's nothing special. The food is RIDICULOUS!! Best pulled pork sandwich of all time. Everything is perfect - BBQ sauce, cole slaw, soft bun. Even the apple pies are really good.

1  Thank samp3
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've been dining at Paynes for 30 years and I crave it . I regularly eat BBQ all over town and no one has better. Ms Flora's hands and talent are essential elements of this magic. BBQ in its own class. I must admit its inconsistent -occasionally off a bit- but never off by far. Best eats: Jumbo, sliced,(with a little of the crispy outer layer of the shoulder included) "hot" sandwich, or BBQ bologna , also "hot".
I love eating at Paynes( Lamar near McLean)- it is a major dive but I wouldn't change one thing about this remodeled old gas station. To me its sacred. If you don't like paynes you should stay in east Memphis.

1  Thank Lyle5953