“Good, But Not The Best”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Walnut Grove - Shelby Farms PD
Reviewed May 5, 2019

We had out of town guests and chose J Alexanders because it was close to their hotel. My problems began when I tried to make reservation for a table of 6 at 6:30 on a Saturday night. They don't take phone in reservations on the weekends, but directed me to the website where I could make them online. The site showed no tables available between 5:30-8:30. We arrived early and put our name on a list, but they wouldn't seat us until we had at least 3 people there. When our party finally arrived we were immediately led to our table. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary hassle for customers. We ordered drinks and they came in a timely manner as did the food. Three of us ordered salads, which when they came turned out to be huge--like an entree. My husband had the grilled trout special as did 2 others. Another guest had the ahi-tuna. All pronounced their selections delicious and plentiful. Another lady and I had the Steak Brazzos--filet chunks marinated in Madeira sauce with mushrooms. I found mine to be overcooked, on the dry side, and a few pieces had a sinewy thread that made it hard to chew. The other lady also said the same. Our server was excellent and let us enjoy our meal and conversation beforehand without hovering. The atmosphere was top-notch, although a bit noisy. We'll go back again, but to try other items not as expensive as what I had.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 1, 2019

Came in for dinner with last-minute reservations (made them in the parking lot on an app). We were seated immediately and served promptly. We ordered a Thai Kai Salad and a Steak Burger. The salad was really good with the peanut dressing, but quite expensive for salad with chicken on it. The burger had an entire slice of onion grilled - which was a bit much - and a tangy "Kiawah Island" dressing. I ordered the dressing on the side in case it was too mayonnaise-y, which it wasn't. I ate half of the burger with it and it was good that way. But, I'm a yellow mustard kind of guy, so I asked for some for the other half, which was even better (to me).

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 23, 2019 via mobile

Been dining here for years and have never been disappointed! You have got to try the avocado bomb. My only suggest is less crab meat and maybe more tuna inside the avocado. Definitely will keep visiting this establishment

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 28, 2019 via mobile

I recently visited J. Alexander to have dinner with my daughter. While we were impressed with our server, the meal was sub par. Our steaks were undercooked and full of gristle. We both left more than half of our meal untouched. Unfortunately our server did not notice or ask if we were happy with our dinner. Not sure how their rating survives . . .

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 13, 2019

Food was excellent and waiter was great. 7 friends from high school met to plan our cruise so we stayed longer than normal. They never made us feel like we should leave. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: January 2019

Been to J. Alexander's? Share your experiences!