“Excellent food, attentive staff”
Review of J. Alexander's

J. Alexander's
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Alexander's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,447 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Walnut Grove - Shelby Farms PD
Memphis, Tennessee
“Excellent food, attentive staff”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

J Alexanders is a more upscale establishment in the Memphis burbs. On my most recent visit I enjoyed the crab cakes, which were all crab and almost non-existent filler. For a side dish I chose their magtag blue cheese cole slaw, which is incredible. My guest said his swordfish special of the day was exploding with flavor. He opted for the acorn squash side and raved about it too. The portions are relatively large.

For dessert you must try the carrot cake which is made in-house. It's served warm with a sweet, thick icing. It will literally melt in your mouth.

Overall, a wide menu choice. Great place for a date night or to entertain business clients. a large and nice bar area. Wait staff know their tasks well and will give you first class attention.

• Visited November 2012

Houston, Texas
“Great for any occasion!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This is a great place for date night, lunch, or drinks at the bar. Everything on the menu is great. Love the Spinach dip, the carrot cake.
Service is excellent.

TN
“Severe lack of communication between wait staff, hostesses and management made for the worst dining experience ever”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This was the first and last time I will ever go to J Alexander's on Germantown Parkway in Memphis. A SEVERE lack of communication between the wait staff, hostesses and management made this the worst dining experience I've ever had. I arrived early today, November 3rd around 4:30 p.m., in order to beat the dinner crowd. My expectations going into J Alexander's was, I don't want to rush, I really just want to unwind from the week, relax and enjoy some good food. I ordered the prime rib sandwich and the cole slaw, which was good. The issue comes after I had finished eating dinner. I had asked my server to box the remainder and I informed her that I was going to excuse myself to the ladies room and would be back; she acknowledged. Upon my return, just a few short minutes later, I was surprised to see that a couple had been seated at my table. I had planned to come back, relax a few minutes longer, finish my water (which had just been refilled) and pay my bill (which was mutually understood between myself and the server), however, I was not able to do that because the host/hostess had seated other guests at my table. The server politely apologized and asked if I'd like to be seated at another table which was directly behind me, before I could tell her yes, the hostess was seating four - five people at that table, in which the hostess ran into me, as well as another person from that party. Being completely displaced, I had no other choice than to end my night. To add insult to injury, I had to stand in front of the entire restaurant to pay my bill. I had noticed that some of the people that I was previously sitting next to during dinner, were looking at me as if to say, "Why did that just happen?" I was told that I could be compensated with dessert for my inconvenience. I explained that I don't want dessert. I had not planned on having dessert, I don't want the calories, so it was of absolutely no consolation to me. I told her that I just wanted to leave because I was so embarrassed. I didn't want to feel rushed, as that was exactly what I was trying NOT to do when I arrived, but, it seemed as if I was being pushed out of the door since they sat others at my table. She insisted on getting management and when the manager came to speak with me, she offered the same thing...dessert. I explained to her that I did not want dessert, I just wanted to leave. Never once did either of them offer to deduct any amount from or refund my bill, their offer was dessert and that was it. Thoroughly insulted and becoming more agitated with the situation, I explained again how very embarrassed I was and that I'd never recommend the restaurant, nor would I ever return.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Crystal W
Franklin, Tennessee
“Fresh food and quality ingredients.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

They do a great job and used quality spices. The prime rib was a little salty, but good aged beef. My wife had the steak burger that is rich and tasty. Customers around us really liked the grilled artichokes. A little noisy but elegant atmosphere.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
“Great menu, service and fabulous meals!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We lovevthis restaurant and akways save toom for a fabulous dessert. The steaks are really good by ny husbands standards and he's very pickey. This is a sure thing and very much worth the time and money.