“What You Come to Memphis Fer”
Review of Cozy Corner

Cozy Corner
Ranked #13 of 1,467 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Syracuse, NY
“What You Come to Memphis Fer”
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I just had the best BBQ ever ... just a notch above Charlie Vergo's Rendevous (from Saturday). It's a very unassuming place. The menu was on a magnetic letter board. I had a pork sandwich with hot BBQ sauce. And you know those nice crispy edges? They were all over! The BBQ beans had minced onion and curry. And the sweet potato was the first I've had that didn't taste like pumpkin. It had little unmashed chunks of sweet potato. Finish with a big cold glass of Sweet Tea, and ooooooo weeee! The only thing I would change is to have it open 24 hours a day (the hours are a bit stingy).

1 Thank smokeorange

Jackson, NJ
“Wonderful barbecue”
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I agree with all of the other wonderful reviews of The Cozy Corner.
The food was fantastic, especially the barbecued rock cornish hen. My husband had the ribs and loved them.
The owner was gracious and friendly. She made sure that we were satisfied with the meal.
The restaurant was recommended by The New York Times...the article was posted in the restaurant.
Don't let the looks of this place and the neighborhood discourage you from eating here. You'll have the best barbecue ever.
We'll definitely return.
Lory
Jackson, NJ

4 Thank Arlo301
Nashville, TN
“Wow YummmO!”
Reviewed May 23, 2006

Cozy Corner is a nice friendly slice of heaven in Memphis. The location is off the beaten path, and is away from the downtown Beale St area. The interior decor is wood paneling, and old tables and booths, which in my opinion adds to the down home goodness of this place. I ordered Dry Ribs, that means no sauce, just the dry rub and wood smoke flavor. The smoky ribs had a nice smoky color profile, and deep rich hickory flavor to the bone - literally to the bone. These ribs were not fatty, they were moist, and tender. In my opinion, they are the best ribs in the south. I took some ribs home too, and warming the ribs on a low temp in the oven revitalizes the scrumptious ribs to perfection. The sides I got were bbq beans and bbq spaghetti, and they were bbq sauce spicy. I recommend ordering the dry ribs, and adding the sauce yourself if you want it. Lastly, when I was there, there were people, including me, taking photos of their food. I took photos because I was so impressed with these lovely smoky bbq ribs!

8 Thank Kitikata
NOLA
“A melting pot of a BBQ restaurant”
Reviewed April 14, 2006

Cozy Corner sits in a nondescript, almost derelict strip mall close to downtown Memphis. The interior is wood panelled, 70's kitsch with a little dust on the walls. The music is Stax, soulful, funky. All of this somehow adds to the magic when eating the incredible barbecue Ms. Robinson serves.

Our family of four was in line with a cross-section of Memphis, and America--whites, blacks, tourists, locals, kids, businesspeople.

The service was great, prompt, only waiting for the gentleman to tend to the closed barbecue pit that sits right up front--so we got to see the show.

My lunch was the pork sandwich (with slaw, as all sandwiches are served) and barbecue spaghetti. My husband got the tips meal and ate the entire thing. We especially loved the touch of sliced white bread to help the lips, mouth and stomach absorb the spice (and "mild" is spicy enough, thank you very much!).

I took a slice of sweet potato pie back to the hotel to eat. Man, it was delicious (they were sitting on the counter in individual plastic to-go boxes, so I had to buy one)!

The restaurant is easy to find from downtown and parking is plentiful (again, it isn't competing with much else).

Ms. Robinson, widow of the gentleman who ran it for many years and who now runs it with her kids, walked through the dining room chit-chatting with some of the diners. The sound of her laugh, light and genuine, made it a happy room. Though, may I say, we were all in ecstasy due to the food!

9 Thank NolaAmy

Been to Cozy Corner? Share your experiences!