“Eclectic, But Good”

Elwood's Shack
Ranked #25 of 1,476 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Some of their items here are just outstanding. Their four star items are:

Salmon Bagel - a mixture of brunch and dinner. Perfect combination of flavors, the salmon has a slight smoky taste. My favorite.

Meatball sub - has caused problems in my household. My wife will not make meatballs at home anymore because she says Elwoods' are better. I declare a tie, but I like Elwoods' sauce better (please don't tell her).

Pimento cheese - the best I have ever had. Great taste and texture.

Roast Beef Sandwich - they roast it themselves. Rare roast beef and very good.

Pastrami Sandwich. They cure and smoke it themselves. Just tried it the other day, outstanding.

They have a large menu here that I have not fully explored, mainly because I enjoy the salmon so much. Their BBQ pork is different, definitely not a Memphis style sauce. I liked it, my wife is not sure, plus she usually orders either the salmon or the meatball sandwich. The brisket is a mixed bag. Have had it three times here. The first time it was the best smoked brisket I had ever had, the second time it was dried out and nasty, the third it was just OK. I really love brisket, but good brisket is hard to find, anywhere. Their chili is made using the brisket.

I have seen people ordering the fish tacos, and later going back to the cook/owner to tell him how great it was. I usually order take-out here, and fish tacos do not travel well. Yes, the place really is a shack, so I order take-out and pick it up on my way home from work. In fact, I will probably go tonight (and they take call ahead).

1  Thank LetsgoVisit
There are newer reviews for Elwood's Shack

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Know going in that Elwood's is small, crowded, a little loud, and a bit expensive for a specialty sandwich place but where else can you park in a Lowe's lot (contractor pick-up side, of course!) and get a pulled pork quesadilla? A slice of Memphis culture that is worth searching out. Be prepared to stand in line to order and wait for a table to open up, but the food is worth the wait.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Elwood's is rather hard to find in that you have to go into the Lowe's parking lot. I purchased a brisket sandwich and found it to be overly salty and tough. I shared my concern with the man who was cooking (who I think was the owner) and I give him kudos because he quickly invited me to choose another menu item in exchange. I chose what they called a BBQ hotdog. The sauce which was on the BBQ may have been the source of the high sodium; nevertheless, I cannot recommend the brisket based on my experience and neither can I recommend the hotdog. Inside seating is very limited and there are tables set up outside the little building, which is where our party of four sat. Each in our party had different entrees and though none were disappointed as I was none thought their choices were excellent but average.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Getting my copy of the 100 best things to eat in Memphis before I die, I made a commitment to try the vast majority of places on the list. Elwood's Shack's Smoked Chicken Wings was on the list. Having plenty of friends that have eaten there before and really enjoyed it, we headed out for a Saturday afternoon Smoked Chicken Wing fest.

First, Its called Elwood's Shack because its nothing more than that. And Im totally fine with a hole in the wall restaurant. Some of the best food can be found in a greasy diner or, in this case, a shack. What struck me first, however, is how dirty this place was. The floors looked like they had not been mopped in weeks. I thought, ok, this place is called a shack, so lower your expectations.

We ordered two 8 piece chicken wing plates and grabbed a seat. The place was really very busy for a Saturday afternoon with people happily eating their meals.

After about 10 min the chicken wings arrived. They were HOT and HUGE! These were some big chickens. After waiting for them to cool off for a bit, we dug right in. I'll say they were pretty good, not great, and Im not sure I'd put them on the 100 things to eat before I die.

I was able to eat 7 of my wings and my friend ate 6 of his. We both liked them, but Id probably try something different next time.

About an hour later we both were running to the bathroom. Lets just say that something didnt agree with either one of us.

Plenty of people rave about Elwoods and perhaps I'll give it another try at some point, but for my first try, I was really disappointed.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Heard breakfast was good so tried dinner. Their rare roast beef sandwiches very good as was chicken salad. Not large menu. Want to go back for breakfast sandwiches.