“Loved hanging out with Nate upstairs!”

Earnestine & Hazel's Bar Grill
Ranked #106 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Loved hanging out with Nate upstairs!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I loved the creepy aspect of the upstairs. After reading the reviews about the old brothel and mention of ghosts, I headed straight upstairs to explore!! We got there around 11 pm and there was NO ONE around. I had to just guess about where to go and finally got to the end of the hall where a paper was attached to a door pointing the way to Nate. We entered a creepy old room and it was just the three of us. We got to hear Nate's stories over some beers. Throughout the night, other people came and went. Everyone was very friendly and enjoyed talking about the place. We met travelers from Ohio, California, and New York. Had a blast! Left around 2 pm! Then we came back the next day for a soul burger. It was pretty good but definitely not the best burger in the world. And their diet coke was yuck and served in a tiny plastic cup ($2!!). In the day light (and sober HA!), it really creeped me out to see how dirty the place looks. There were only two other people there eating, yet the Arcade across the street was packed!! I'm really surprised the place passes any kind of code inspection!! One of the bathrooms upstairs didn't even have running water in the sink. Next time, I'll stick to bottled beer and hang out in the bar upstairs!! That part was very cool!! I definitely want to bring some friends to see the place!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank MS_Lady38

Columbus, OH
“We got a tour!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stopped in for the soul burger and gumbo, YUM! The place is bursting with character. George was behind the bar and offered to give us a tour. He said many famous people stop in and they have a lot of pictures to prove it. He also told us about some movies that had been made there. They have a court yard in the back and the upstairs hasn't changed since the fifties. If only the walls could talk. The juke box will just start playing at random times. At one point it played a christmas tune and was done. Stop in if you get a chance!

Visited May 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“just average”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The bar looks rundown on purpose, I guess, to make it look like you stepped back in time. The upstairs is spooky and would be fun to hang out in on Fri and Sat. The hamburger is fresh, but ordinary. Not really worth $5.

Visited January 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Frighteningly good food!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

One of the best burgers I have ever tasted! My first impression of this place was a dingy hole in the the wall. But it is so much more! Said to be one of the most haunted places in Memphis, E&H was formerly the host of a brothel. An eerie lingering feeling will stay wrapped around you like a blanket throughout the entirety of your visit (especially upstairs)! In addition to the creepy feeling and alleged apparitions, this place is said to have a haunted juke box that comes on at random unexpectedly. However, I have not witnessed this myself. The service was great here; the bartender really seemed to enjoy telling people about the place. The delicious soul burger was just one of many truly interesting things about this dive bar! Definitely a must see!

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Jbholland777
Exeter, New Hampshire
“Very cool place”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

When we wandered in I at first wanted to leave because its really a dive. But the bartender and two customers who were just leaving convinced us to stay and have a Soul Burger. We loved th place! Its historic, and fun to wander around the upstairs. My son who is a musicina was thrilled to find out that the White Stripes recorded a video here. We also wanted to try out the tiny restaurnat on the other side but when we went it was not open. Go if you get a chance, we only heard good things about the food there.

• Visited October 2012