“Visiting this place fills Ur heart, soul and stomach!”

Alcenia's Desserts & Preserves
Ranked #6 of 43 Dessert in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
“Visiting this place fills Ur heart, soul and stomach!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Alcenia's is the perfect place for GREAT food and even made better by the people. You feel like family as soon as you walk in the door. Mrs BJ greets everyone with a warm smile and a kiss. The food is very comforting and fills you up stomach, heart and soul.

• Visited June 2013

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“This place is a hoot!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went for Saturday brunch. Here brunch means, "Come for breakfast, and you might leave by lunch!"

The food was ok. The two ladies were real sweet. The owner/cook came out of the back and gave everyone a hug and a big wet kiss.

Try the ghetto aid (really sweet kool-aid)!

It was an experience that I will never forget!

• Visited April 2013
Sydenham, Ontario
“Never have experienced a place like this before!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family and I went on a road trip to Memphis last week and decided to stop at various restaurants featured on Diners Dives and Drive Ins, and Alcenias being one of them. We went there early as we decided not to have breakfast and just have a big early lunch because they opened at 11:00. When we arrived outside the restaurant I wasn't sure we were in the right place. It seemed to look abandoned from the outside! I actually went on my iphone to double check the address and sure enough it was right! My husband went in first just to make sure it was open and then we followed. Upon opening the door we were greeted by the owner/cook who gave us all a kiss and hug. She welcomed us to sit down and was quite frazzled because she ran out of eggs, but assured us that someone was on their way to pick some up and would be back momentarily. At this point we were the only ones in the restaurant, but within 1/2 hour the restaurant was packed. The life inside that little restaurant was energized with hungry people! With no waitress in site, the owner and her husband not only cooked the food, but took orders and served it as well. A couple of the regular patrons actually helped them with taking orders and serving too. It took 1 1/2 hours to be served everything we ordered, but it was well worth the wait. Out of all of the restaurants we ate at that week, Alcenia's was by far the best! It's been a week since I've been there and I'm still craving the sweet potato fries, and cooked cabbage. The only downfall to our experience was she didn't have any desserts to take with us which is one of their signature features. I will be buying their cookbook so that I can continue to taste that soul food here in Canada!

• Visited March 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
“Wonderful treatment for the Soul!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Do you know your comfort foods? The foods that make you feel better when you are just a little down or want to feel all warm inside? Baked macaroni and cheese, cornbread dressing, sweet potato soufflé, cream corn – awesome! The fried green tomatoes appetizer was excellent as were the fried cucumbers. The hot water cornbread is fabulous! If you leave hungry it is your own fault! The chicken, pork chops and fish are cooked to order so please be patient in that regard, good things come to those who wait! We tried the pork chop dinner and the baked tilapia. Both were outstanding! Well flavored and made your mouth water wanting more. I thought the pork chop was wonderful, full of flavor and very moist, just like Grandma used to make! The Mac n' cheese was excellent and the green beans were peppery and delicious! The tilapia we ordered with “medium” spice and though I like spicy food I would not have wanted to try spicy; medium were “just right”

Service is slow here. In the south service is slower anyway but Althea’s moves at an even slower pace than typical southern restaurants. It is worth the wait but do not go when you are in a hurry on only have an hour for lunch. Althea’s is meant to be enjoyed at a slow southern pace.

• Visited October 2012
san antonio, texas, usa
“good for the soul”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

visited Alcenia's just before taking a paddlewheel cruise on the mississippi; colorful decor, good food and lots of it. the fried green tomatoes appetizer was excellent as was the fried cucumbers. Everyone in our party was raving about how good their meal was. BJ, the owner came around and hugged & kissed everyone for visiting.

• Visited August 2012