“My Memphis visit to Grandma's house”

Alcenia's Desserts & Preserves
Ranked #76 of 1,494 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I travel to Memphis quite often. It is always a good visit when I get by Alcenia's. Made to order food that is down home, like my Granny used to make. Breaded pork chops are my personal fave. The menu features a small variety but it is all done GREAT! Love is put into the food. The funky decor is fun and the service is great. The ghetto kool aide is something to try. So sweet, you might halucinate. When I am in Memphis, I stop by here and feel like I am visiting family.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

I went for lunch at precisely 11:00am (on a Tuesday) and it was one of the best lunches I've ever had. I started with the fried green tomatoes and it took a few minutes because they are cooked to order. They arrived hot and steaming and the thin slices were perfectly cooked.

Next, I had the fried pork chop, mac and cheese and her cabbage and all was prefectly seasoned and in generous portions. The "hot water" cornbread is sweet and almost like eating a piece of cake.

BJ is such a grand and gracious host, she hugs you like you are family and makes you feel special. It's not the biggest restaurant, but it is small and cozy. It's situated with it's back to the Memphis Pyramid and there's plenty of parking around, plus the Trolley rolls right past the front door.

It's a "must visit" place if you're a Foodie. I'll be back for more.

Mike

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We were on vacation in Tunica for 2 days and Alcenia's was our 1st stop on a day trip to Memphis. I wish we were in the area longer so we could have gone back to Alcenia's for a second or third meal. We stopped by at lunch on a Thursday & the restaurant was very quiet. We had all ordered the fried pork chop which was cooked to order. About 10 minutes after we placed our order Ms BJ came over and greeted all of us with a kiss and hug, and talked withus fr awhile. We are from New England and this was our first trip to the Mid South and I have to say the folks there are some of the nicest people we have ever met and Ms BJ is at the top of the list. Our meals came about 20 minutes after and I must say one of the best pork chops I have ever had. The sides of yams, beans and creamed corn were to die for as well. If you ever get a chance to visit Memphis this is a must stop!!!!!! Good food, Good people and great prices.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I was looking foward to going to Alcenia's on my vacation to Memphis and was not disapointed. The service was a little slow, but nonetheless was friendly, and we appreciated Alcenia's grandaughter greeting us with a hug and kiss. The grilled catfish was delicious, along with the cabbage and mac n cheese. The cornbread however tasted like it was leftover from the day before and microwaved. My brother had the fried chicken, said it was good but could be spicier. Both my mother and dad had the pork chop which they said was seasoned and fried well. The best part of the lunch was a taste of my dad's yams he ordered---to die for. They were the best yams I've ever had! If we weren't so full we wouldv'e tried the bread pudding, which we're kicking ourselves now for not have tried it. Overall, I would recommend Alcenia's for anyone who's looking for true southern hospitality and great southern food.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We were on our summer vacation in Tennessee. We spent a couple of days in Memphis- did the Graceland thing and the BBQ thing, but had seen Alcenia's on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and decided I really wanted to go. Was very glad we did!! Yes it does take a while to get your food, but it is all fresh cooked and wonderful!! Had the white meat chicken, cabbage and rice. My son had the homemade sweet potato fries. My best friend had the chicken and green beans and mac and cheese. Everything was WONDERFUL!!! When we arrived, the was a waiter and we were seated. Then out came Miss B.J.!! She came and greeted each one of us with a big ol hug and a kiss on the head!! We were very pleased with the whole experience and will definitely return someday!!