“No Thanks”

Neighborhood: McKellar - Whitehaven-Levi PD
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“No Thanks”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I was visiting Memphis on a work trip and was excited to try this place after learning that it had been featured on two different Food Network shows and reading nothing but glowing reviews.

One word: Hype.

Uncle Lou's was extremely disappointing. The sides ranged from bland to downright gross (fried pickles should not be grey). The chicken was decent but not at all as delicious as advertised. The breast piece was moist and well seasoned, but the skin was soggy from the sauce, and all the non-breast pieces barely had any meat on them.

The one truly scrumptious menu item are the biscuits. Buttery, salty, fluffy. Heavenly.

The restaurant itself was unclean with a layer of greasy dust covering everything.

That being said, the staff was friendly and helpful, so I give them a solid B+. I can't help but wonder if the appeal of Uncle Lou's is Uncle Lou himself.

Overall, this was place was extremely disappointing. I wouldn't recommend it.

3 Thank Shaina D

Dexter, Missouri
“The Best Of the Best! Worth Finding!!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Not far from the Memphis Airport ... we always make a quick stop to see Uncle Lou and enjoy his great food. Would totally recommend it.

Visited January 2014
Arkansas
“Heart Attack Waiting to Happen ...”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

… but you'll die happy! Everything is fried -- chicken, carrots, pickles, bologna, etc. We each opted for the 3-piece chicken plate, which is served with a biscuit and a side. I had the fried pickles and my husband had the "corrupted carrots" (which were fried baby carrots). Both came with a spicy mayo or ranch-based dipping sauce. The chicken can be ordered homestyle or doused in Sweet Spicy Love sauce which can be ordered mild or hot. Lou himself was working the line taking orders in order to expedite the ordering process since the line was almost out the door. He convinced us that hot was the way to go, and we were pleased with the choice. I loved the pickles (though I'm used to fried pickles being crisper), but there were a LOT of them, and my husband really liked his carrots. All in all, this was a great lunch, and we are still full several hours later! Next time, I think we could split a three-piecer, even with sharing a side. Lou's outgoing personality and extreme customer service are also are real positive. He checked back with us to make sure we were satisfied with our selection since he had promised us to replace it with mild sauce if we though it was too hot. Oh, and the biscuit was heavenly! Only thing missing was a shower to clean up after the sticky meal -- all of which is eaten with the fingers. Definitely the most unique fried chicken I've ever had.

• Visited January 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Uncle Lou's chicken is awesome”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Hospitality & service is just absolutely over the edge off the chain. Juan waited on us the moment we walked in the door and his service, attitude and pleasantness were impeccable. My wife and I shared a combo seven pieces of chicken, mild and 1 hot. Both types were very very good, but I believe that non-hot was a little better since the hot spice took away some of the flavor. I would recommend this to anyone and we will certainly visit here again on our next trip to Memphis.

Cazu247@Hotmail.com
“Not the best thing I ever ate”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

we went there because of food networks the best thing I ever ate. We ate both the spicy chicken and the fried chicken it was just ok. The chicken was moist and savory but it ok. The sauce and dry rub were very good. This place looks like a former fast food place that was converted in lou's. The food is severed in paper plates and is conducive as a greasy spot. The staff is pleasant and attentive and the service was good.

• Visited December 2013