“Excellent Pho”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Loved the pho. We found this spot through trip advisor and we are glad we did. Really fresh food. It's in a strip mall just around the corner from a Chinese grocery store. Go during daylight hours. Reasonable priced. Enjoy the adventure.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I had a delicious Saturday lunch. Pho and other soups for a cold day in Memphis are healthy and delicious. My wife had one of the other soups, a curry soup. She only let me have one small taste. I had a vermicelli bowl with pork and egg roll. Made me look forward to my next visit. Friendly, helpful service. Low prices, abundant quantity. They have a buffet on weekdays, but I haven't tried that.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Terrible location, odd and curious interior, and strange servers. Wow....can't believe others rated it as good as they did.
It's only redeeming quality it the fact that 2 can eat for 13 bucks on the buffet. The price showed through in the mostly-vagrant clientele.
The food was marginal.....and we graded it on the 6buck buffet curve.
Drive on by....get a good look, then head somewhere that is better.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

If I was even remotely Vietnamese. I'm not, but I have enjoyed living in places with large Vietnamese populations, and the food at Pho Hoa Binh is as tasty as the decor is plain.
In 10 years of regular dining here, I've never had anything but great food and a welcoming smile, while the prices remain low and the flavors superb.

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Pho Hoa Binh sits in amongst a grungy sorta strip of shop fronts on Madison Avenue. A very unlikely location - one would think - to find ... scrumptious tofu and the best Egg Foo Young you will ever put in 'ya mouth!

I hear there is a buffet here that gets mixed reviews. This review is NOT about the buffet ... I can safely say that I will never be partaking of that offering of Pho Hoa Binh.

I must confess, despite all of the outstanding reviews and very reliable pallets, I normally trust, telling me that I 'must try'... I resisted the allure of Phi Hoa Binh. Why? Well... I have this slight little quirk; if a restaurant's inspection grade is less than 91 ... As a general rule, I will not eat there. I heard ... And it is true Bho Hoa Binh has a grade of 86.

I suppose the promise of fabulous tofu ... and lemon grass finally proved too much of a sirens call; today I lunched there.

The inside of Pho Hoa Binh is a bit .... Unappealing. Walking in the door you are immediately hit with a very strong smell of cleaner.

I leerily looked around me ... It wasn't 'so bad'.

We sat ourselves hesitantly ... There are no 'seat yourself' signs.

Service was very slow ... Attentive but everything came out after a considerable wait.

I unwisely chose to sit facing the back wall. The long wait between ordering and getting our food afforded me unfortunate opportunities to stare at the '86' health inspection grade posted on the back wall directly behind my dining companions shoulder. Ridiculously enough, this built up a bit of unease in me. I again asked if we could perhaps forgo eating here... This received a negative.

We ordered the veggie egg rolls served with beautiful crisp greens that could Be wrapped around the tasty little fried rolls and dipped in a sweet watery (slightly spicy) sauce. My companion ordered the egg drop soup and proclaimed it delicious. We decided on two entrees ( we realized after our meals arrived we should have split one - they are monstrous in size!) I opted for a lemon grass coconut curry tofu and my companion decided on a Seafood stir fried noodle concoction.

The entrees arrived heaped onto massive plates and we both stared on awe at the mounds of smoking delicious looking food set before us.

My companions stir fried noodles where full of bok choy, snow peas, broccoli, and all sorts of other veggies along with a large quantity of seafood mixed in.

I actually tasted her dish first, I snagged a piece of bok choy and a few noodles which had to be blown on for a considerable time to cool.

At first bite ... I felt my eyes close in pleasure. It was delicious! How could such a simple dish taste so complex and fantastic!

I was then eager to try my tofu. The sauce was a bit sweeter than I generally like but the flavor was wonderful. The tofu was cooked perfectly and not just added to the dish but an intricate part of the dish. I think I must have made some sort of noise for my companion looked at me questioningly, to which I only responded to after I had savored every last bit of my first bite. The only response I managed before popping in another bite was, 'oh my... This is delicious', to which I received a nod of agreement.

Long forgotten where the strange unpleasant surroundings and the posted yellow paper advertising the '86' grade.

As long as you are eating the tantalizing deliciousness Pho Hoa Binh dishes out, everything else doesn't matter.

We each could only eat about a third if that much of our entrees. Our waiter was worried and asked if we did not like it. No we didn't like it ... We LOVED it. We didn't tell him this of course, we just said it was delicious and we just couldn't eat it all.

We didn't realize that you have to pay at the counter when you are done with your meal. We sat around waiting for our check for about twenty minutes talking before "intelligent" me decided to ask about the check.

As we where packing up our massive amounts of leftovers my eye once again fell on that '86'.

The nirvana state the food puts you in while you are eating, Unfortunately doesn't last more that thirty minutes. The little bubble pops and you see where you are once more and again you notice that hateful grade of '86' posted on their back wall sticking out like a sore thumb; which is why Pho Hoa Binh gets four stars instead of five.

Will I be back to Pho Hoa Binh... Good heavens, YES! How could I not. I actually dreamed the other night that I Pho Hoa Binh was my kitchen...

Ridiculous, rite? But I bet all you Pho Hoa Binh fans out there just had that flash through you mind for a moment and thought, 'Holy-moly that would be Ah-mazing' que Angels singing and rays of sunshine ... Maybe even a rainbow (ok so maybe the Holy-moly was just from me).

Only in my dream Pho Hoa Binh ... It had a grade of '99'.

Perhaps I should sit facing away from the back wall next time ....

1  Thank The_Lady_Gadiva