“Highly Recommended”

Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 1,504 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a great restaurant, not just an Italian restaurant. I have dined here many times with family and business contacts. The food can be "different" here, which is part of its appeal. Of course they also have crazy good pasta. Just try their ravioli. I also like their pork cheek. You should try it.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The two chefs at Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen, Andrew & Michael, are James Beard Foundation 2013 Semi-finalist nominees for Best Chef: South East. My wife & I jumped at the chance, on a quick business trip to Memphis, to see what they could do. I'm here to say that we were we glad we went- they do it very well, indeed.

The small intimate dining area takes up most of a remodeled house. The ambiance is low-key elegance, the service is impeccable, friendly and efficient. The food is first class, creative contemporary Italian/Southern fusion. The menu isn't extensive but everything on it is worthy of consideration.

After some consideration, we landed on two starters and two pasta dishes so we could share tastes. Everything was spot on- perfectly prepared, beautifully presented and totally delicious. We started with the A/M Salad- field greens & buffalo mozzarella and the A/M Breakfast- a superb poached egg on creamy polenta with pork belly and crispy house-made pork rinds. Yumm! Our mouth watering house-made pasta dishes were small servings yet very big on flavor (they will happily double your pasta order on request). The lamb ragu cavatelli was heavenly and the rich quail & foie gras tortellini was outstanding. A nice bottle of Poggio Sangiovese from the thoughtful wine list was a perfect accompaniment.

For dessert we shared the Financier Cake- an amazing dense spice cake with bourbon icing and a brown butter gelato that was out of this world.

Andrew & Michael certainly deserve their nominations- they offer a very high standard of culinary artistry and dining experience. We enjoyed every minute of our meal and look forward to returning the next time we come through Memphis. Well done!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Local media have raved about this restaurant, and it certainly was very busy when we were there on a Saturday night. We had one of the last reservations,and sat at a high table with bar stools in the bar area. That was no problem. Our server was very attentive. The fresh warm bread with olive spread was delicious. I asked for butter, my personal preference, and was brought some right away, with no hesitation.
Our first course was the antipasti platter with nice home cured meats, arugala, and tasty pickled celery. My main was the heart of rib eye, which is where the fussiness began. The meat for $30 was too tough for me to eat more than half. It was served in a sauce with many different finely chopped vegetables. If the meat would have been good, the sauce would have been a distraction. My husband had exactly that issue with his redfish. The fish was fresh, but had a different watery sauce of multiple ingredients. I felt that the melange of choices in the sauces were being different, just to be "gourmet", and added nothing to the main selection. We did not have dessert, but one of the choices was prosciutto gelato, which, to me sums up this restaurant.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We celebrated my mother in-laws birthday this evening at Andrew Michael's.

Our cheese plate appetizer needed a bit of work. Very small portions of cheese and missing compliments normally seen such as sliced fruit, nuts or crackers. Very dull.

Two of us had the pork entree, two had the beef tenderloin. All entrees were very good, well presented and freshly prepared sides.

Deserts were good, but not over the top.

Atmosphere was very nice and intimate, great for couples.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to go to a tasting at AMIK. I was never a "polenta" person until I ate their "breakfast" which consisted of bbq pork belly, a perfect egg, the most creamy polenta I every ate and cracklins. I am now a devotee! If you are in Memphis, this is a restaurant you mustn't miss. The atmosphere is great, service was incomparable.

1  Thank Maryellenwinters