“Polenta and eggs...does it get any better than this?”

Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,527 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to go to a tasting at AMIK. I was never a "polenta" person until I ate their "breakfast" which consisted of bbq pork belly, a perfect egg, the most creamy polenta I every ate and cracklins. I am now a devotee! If you are in Memphis, this is a restaurant you mustn't miss. The atmosphere is great, service was incomparable.

1  Thank Maryellenwinters

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The restaurant has a warm and inviting atmosphere. The service was excellent. After we were served our wine, the waiter brought us fresh, hot bread--crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside with an olive topping on the side. My husband and I started with salads--the A/M Salad (with vinaigrette and fresh Mozzarella) was full of flavor. For the entrées, my husband had the beef tenderloin and it was very tender; I had the potato gnocchi appetizer modified to be a main dish and it had a perfect texture. We shared the most amazing bread pudding, served warm with butter pecan gelato, cinnamon, and walnuts. We will definitely return.

1  Thank JandJRoberts
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Staff superb, ambiance brilliant, but we were sick all night, probably because of the pink pork. The staff are very knowledgeble

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The restaurant is in a remodeled house. It's cozy and has a garden which would be perfect when the temperature and bugs cooperate. I didn't find the restaurant noisy as some others have. The service is impeccable. All of the food we ate was prepared well. The lamb, bass (not sea bass), chicken livers, and gnocchi were very good. However, the chef uses vegetables to accent the natural flavors of the entrees, and I believe the chef's creations would be much better if the entrees themselves were spiced with appropriate Italian seasonings. The spicing of the vegetables detracts from the natural flavors of the vegetables so all you can taste when eating them is the seasoning itself. Note that the chicken livers were chopped finely but were still very tasty, and they give you a very ample portion size of them. The prices are high for Memphis and for a restaurant that is trying to compete with the established gourmet restaurants. And I didn't find many truly Italian items on the menu. This isn't a true Italian restaurant. Tip: Get the Chianti with the meal. It was far better than the Sangiovese at about the same price. We ate at 6 and had a table for two which wasn't the tiny table for two that some other restaurants offer you. This restaurant is worth a try and with some real improvement could make the top three restaurant in Memphis list some time in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a very popular restaurant and I have thought a lot about this review but felt that it was warranted. Went here recently for my husband's birthday. The specialty drinks were wonderful! The servers are very attentive and pleasant. We had truffled chicken livers for an appetizer, note, this is not pate, but ground up sauteed chicken livers. The pasta was good, the beef however was very tough and chewy. It was described to us as "round" when we asked about the cut we were told that it was an interior muscle from the back leg and that it had been vacuum packed and put in some type of water bath that was to have tenderized it. It seemed to get bigger and bigger in your mouth the more you chewed it. We also had lamb shank and it was well cooked. The temperature in the restaurant was uncomfortably hot, the servers were all dripping wet, there were portable airconditioner towers in the rooms but they weren't getting the job done. The noise level was such that we had to resort to shouting to hear each other over a two top. Wall coverings, accoustical tiles, drapes, rugs, any of these would go a long way to calming down the decibels.

2  Thank KCG1972