“For foodie lovers”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First let me start by saying if using a GPS app, don’t use Waze to get here, use Google.

I really didn’t know what to expect when I walked up. Some fun eclectic area, I hadn’t known about. When I opened the door I was amazed. Much classier than I had expected.

The wine options were limited but very good. You know they know what they are doing when no sweet wines are offered. My dinner companion had the special red fish of the night on micro greens. I had the shrimp, scallops and Thai dumplings. So many flavors going on in that bowl. I especially enjoyed the avocado but could’ve done without the few golden raisins.

I would definitely come back. The food was amazing, and loved the quirky yet elegant atmosphere.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you need somewhere different to take someone for a celebration or just a fun night out, this is your place! This is literally a 50’s? beauty shop with separate glass block wall sections for the hair cutting stalls that has been remade with booths for seating. I highly suggest reservations! We had reservations at 5:15 on Saturday ( it opens at 5), and people were waiting outside for the doors to open:) There are only about 5 hair dresser booths, so if you want one of those, I would specify it!

The food is exceptional and very accommodating to allergy requests. The portions are small, and pricey.... They are worth it! We all ordered something different, and were all very pleased! My husband said the oysters were amazing! I have a special craving for their truffle fries! You can’t go wrong with anything!

My husband and it had steak frites, truffle fries, a margarita. He had oysters, charred broccoli, fingerling potatoes w/goat cheese, & a New Orleans Special (drink). Before tax $75.94.

Parking is limited in a lot across the street (Free). Later in the evening you will fight side street parking and walking.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

We got to the restaurant right when it opened without a reservation. We were lucky to get a table. The BLFTG was the best bacon sandwich I have ever had! The fried green tomatoes made it so tasty! Also had the corn fritters with a blueberry compote. I highly recommend these choices but the whole menu looks delicious.

1  Thank Gina P
Reviewed April 14, 2019 via mobile

Our party of 5 arrived on Sunday at 10am. There were already people waiting outside to go in. We hadnt made reservations. So they asked us if we could be done by 11am. The place is interesting, with silver foil walls and some beauty shop decor. The menu is pretty small for brunch. Within 15 minutes, the place was packed! It was pretty loud, even in our somewhat secluded table, surrounded by glass blocks. The food was ok. I had the Mexican breakfast. It consisted of 2 charred flour tortillas, eggs, a few slices of avacado, a dollop of salsa, a few sprigs of cilantro, a squirt of lime juice, and a LOT of black beans. It just didnt have much taste at all. Others in my party had biscuits and gravy, chicken and waffles, and the Southern breakfast. They all said it was just ok, somewhat tasteless, but overpriced. We probably will not return, but it was a cute place to see in a nice neighborhood.

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Very cute establishment with full bar and old school beauty shop accessories( hooded dryers ) Wait staff was very attentive. Almost felt like they were rushing us but I honestly think they weren’t. Menu items are very unique. We got the smoked brisket. It was on a oh-too-yummy bun, with hand sliced cold slaw and collard greens! I also had fries that truffle oil was used( in some form, can’t remember if it was a sauté or fried in) with a cheesy sprinkle all over that were to die for! I would love to take my daughters there but the menu won’t appeal to them. I’ll definitely go back!
* Good luck with parking, It will be a challenge to find free but there’s a lot right next to them that charges.