“Cool retro vibe with great food”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beauty Shop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,475 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My daughter recommended this place for us to go with her and her husband. The restaurant has a cool retro feel complete with (some) booths that are glass bricked "drying" stations (it appears to truly be an old beauty shop) that are must to include when reserving.

The wine selection was limited to about 20 selections, all good and all affordable and priced by the glass as well. The menu is a little eclectic and the entrees somewhat limited in number. But the quality was great. I had the special ribeye with potatoes and bacon and arugula. It was superb. My daughter had the steak frites which was a filet and truffle fries. Delightful. My wife had lamb chops and root vegetables. She loved it and my son-in-law had 3 cheese pasta with cream sauce. He said it was great but the portion looked small and the presentation a little emaciated. We split a grilled romaine salad which was splendid but could have used a little more dressing. (We split among the 4 of us and it was huge). I would have given 5 stars but the service seemed a tad slow and the pasta just not up to the cuff of the rest of the food.

There are newer reviews for The Beauty Shop Restaurant

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Love the atmosphere, dining in an old fashioned beauty shop. But go for the food. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I do love the Salmon Gralax Club with Homemade Chips and the Pastrami on Rye with Frittes (cayenne sugar or black pepper/Parmesan are both good). Their pasta of the day is always a good choice as well. The sorbets for dessert are unusual and good as are their cakes. Great girls lunch out!

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch on a Tuesday at the Beauty Shop. So cute on the inside with so many handmade touches, but the food is totally average. Tomato bisque? If you had me do a blind tasting I would not have known that it was tomato. Reuben sandwich? I've had better Reubens in a hospital cafeteria. Lacking in meat and in tenderness. Beastie Boy beef sandwich? So miniature in portion size they should call it the Beastie Toddler. Housemade chips came out without a bit of salt. If chips like those aren't seasoned when they come out of the fryer they'll really be missing out! I tried to order the olive appetizer and was told it was no longer on the lunch menu. So, why is it still on the menu? Two other items prominently listed as sandwich ingredients were "not available". The restaurant concept is so cool but the attention to cleanliness was missing. The end of our booth table was clad in acrylic to keep the table from scarring the wall but there were weeks worth of crumbs trapped under the acrylic and plainly visible. The frame of a mirror hanging over our table was covered in dust. The prices are reasonable but maybe they should be increased so the food quality and cleanliness can increase? But on the plus side the bar was darling and so inviting. And our waitress, Mary Claire was excellent! But overall, it's such a disappointment to read good reviews and then arrive to just an average lunch.

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

"Look good. Eat good." This space used to house a neighborhood beauty shop. Some of the original fixtures remain including the drop-down hair dryers of years ago.
Now updated with art pieces everywhere. Copper leafed walls, hand blown lamp shades, funky wooden bar designed by local artist, Wayne Edge, and much more.
The food is as wonderful and eclectic as the decor. Karen Carrier changes the menu seasonally to serve the freshest and most unique items in the city. Fresh and clean, meaning not smothered in over done sauces. Fish, meats and vegetarian choices are full of flavor and salads to die for.
Drinks are fabulous. One of the best Bloody Mary's I've ever had. Wines are over the top.
Wonderful evening. Wonderful New Year!!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our party of four went to the Beauty Shop to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Since an Alabama football game was being played that night, we arrived at 5:00 pm when they open...no need for reservations at that time.

Beauty Shop is located in the Copper-Young district of Memphis...a trendy area with lots of fun restaurants. Beauty Shop is situated in the old Atkins Beauty Salon where Priscilla Presley used to get her hair coiffed to perfection. She actually visited the restaurant not long after its 2002 opening and told the owners that they could erect a plaque with that information...but they never did.

Most of the vintage salon equipment is still there...from the glass walled booths that now hold hungry diners to the sinks at the bar and the hair dryers. Even the vintage mirrors and hanging lamps are still there!

Promptly have being seated we were greeted by Christine, our server. Christine cheerfully answered all of our questions and brought our meals out with a smile. We listened to 60's music as we waited.

Two of our party chose the pork shoulder steak with plantains, cauliflower soubise and corn fritters. My daughter and I ordered the Peking duck and the chicken confit.

When the meals arrived they were all artistically plated. The Peking duck was served with muddled blackberries, roasted figs and butternut squash and the chicken confit was stuffed with pork and goat cheese accompanied by cabbage, fuji apples, blistered grapes and bacon. The dish also contained a Johnny cake with corn inside.

As usual I sampled a little of everyone's dish! I'll start with mine. The chicken confit has a full sized chicken leg and then a smaller wing and breast portion underneath. The cabbage with apples and bacon is on the bottom. It is unearthing delicious delicacies with each bite! I was a little disappointed with the stuffing, there was only about a thimble full on my plate; I'm not sure if that was intentional or not and I didn't taste any grapes. I actually forgot grapes were a part of the dish until later. However, it really didn't matter, the dish was great without it. The cabbage actually complimented the chicken very well.

The Peking duck was crispy and not fatty, as duck is prone to be. The muddled blackberries were wonderful! They complimented the duck very well. This dish came with butternut squash and roasted figs, which I didn't sample but my daughter like it. She kept saying "mmm" over and over as she ate.

Our husbands thoroughly enjoyed their pork shoulder steaks...they ate every bite. I loved the corn fritters, they were crispy and flavorful. I must say that the portions were just right. We all ate all of our meals without being too stuffed.

Since we were celebrating a birthday, we splurged and ordered dessert. The desserts of the day, along with the gelato flavors are written on the mirror as you enter the dining room. Christine dutifully read them off to us and informed us that the cakes come from Sugaree's Bakery in New Albany, Mississippi.

My husband and I chose the strawberry cake while my daughter and son-in-law opted for the creme brûlée and berry crepes. We were looking forward to something sweet and we were not disappointed. This time it was my turn to say "mmm" over and over, the strawberry cake was divine! It was moist and not too sweet. My daughter's creme brûlée was rich and tasty as well. My son-in-law enjoyed his crepe too.

All in all this was a wonderful experience for my daughter's birthday. I would highly recommend this establishment.

1  Thank Hrpamw