“Good, but Sunday menu was not what we expected”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beauty Shop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,476 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was a very cute and good restaurant, but Sunday's menu was quite minimal, as it contained only brunch menu items. They were out of the Hollondaise (sp?) sauce, which was too bad since we love eggs benedict. I ordered the steak salad which was DELICIOUS, EXCEPT the dressing was the hottest thing I have ever tasted in my whole life, so I had to send it back. I don't know if there was just an exceptional amount of chili oil in it that day, but I was bummed about how hot it was, because the first few bites were awesome. I recommend trying the dressing on ONE piece of lettuce before you pour it over the whole salad, just in case you think it is as hot as I thought it was. They remade it for me with the green goddess dressing, which tasted good, but was room temperature which was a turn-off for me. Their dinner menu looks awesome, though. We were bummed we couldn't try it. Oh yeah, and we ordered the fries with truffle oil: TO DIE FOR!!!!! Service was exceptional (it was even our waiter's first day. He was awesome) Parking was a breeze. They had tables and booths, and the bathrooms were very clean and stylish. A cool piece of history, and I do recommend it.

There are newer reviews for The Beauty Shop Restaurant

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We enjoy Sunday brunch here-there are plenty of familiar entrees yet done with unique flair. Cheese grits are excellent, as is the French toast. Several tasty egg dishes to choose from, and the mimosas are wonderful. Also good for a late night (e.g. after theater) hangout for drinks. It gets quite crowded so make reservations if you are able.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The sales girl at the National Ornamental Metal Museum suggested that we try the Beauty Shop Bar for excellent food and great local flavors. I had the BLT club with shrimp. It was heavenly. Service and prices were excellent. We were shocked and thrilled to find out that the Beauty Shop Bar was also the caterer for the wedding we attended that evening! As a caterer, they had a wonderful array of pastas, vegetarian dishes, and salads. Their mini cupcakes were amazing and interesting flavors. My favorites were the slightly spicy Aztec Chocolate, the Red Velvet and the Jamaican Rum.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My all time favorite restaurant. For special occasions and all the time. I never tire of this unusual place. Food is over the top by my fav chef, Karen Carrier. Deco is unique and artistic. A must for anyone visiting Memphis.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Bunch as well as Dinner and both were wonderful. The tables outside make a perfect midtown on a weekend setting as we do love to brunch.
The dinner I shared there with about 10 friends was a great way to eat here, the menu though not large is expansive across the tastes of different people. I also heard it varies which I think is a great way to keep people coming back. Between us we sampled appetizers, quite a few mains, and some desert, nothing disappointed. I recommend for a special occasion or a great ladies night if you are foodies especially. The brunch is comparably priced, the dinner runs a bit higher however the food rates the cost.