“Don't miss this Beauty Shop!”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beauty Shop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 1,467 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
NYC
“Don't miss this Beauty Shop!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Went to Memphis to run the Marathon and OpenTable recommended this Fabulous spot to me. The beauty shop decor was indeed fun, but the moment I bit into my Heirloom Apple salad, I was in heaven. Both the owner and my server were super friendly. My main course of of fish was done to perfection. I only wish I was staying in Memphis longer so I could go back to try other items on the menu.

Memphis, TN
“So cool and retro it always makes me smile”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Situated in an old beauty shop. Some of the booths still have the old beauty shop mirrors. It is a hoot! The food is great - creative and well priced. A fun place to visit.

Visited August 2012
Nashville, TN
“I love The Beauty Shop!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about The Beauty Shop. The food is so fab and delicious, and their Sunday brunch is the best. The place is like stepping back in time to the 1960's and the decor is very chic. Elvis' ex-wife Priscilla Presley always had her beehive done here and that's what first attracted me to dine at The Beauty Shop. If you like cute and tasty sandwiches, different soups, and vintage decor then The Beauty Shop is your place!

• Visited August 2012
Boston
“Great for Lunch”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I went for dinner as it was highly recommended by locals and an interesting piece of pop culture as Priscilla Presley frequented there back in the day. I was taken off guard with the progressive artistic (local artists) remake of the Shop. We found the lunch menu to be very affordable...especially by how chic the restaurant appeared. Service was "OK" probably mostly since it was a Tuesday late lunch period. I expect the dinner prices would be much more expensive. The food was amazing! My husband got a Reuben and I got a "Beastie Boy" sandwich and it was amazing! The food was really met high expectations.

• Visited September 2012
NYC
“Wanted to love it!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I really loved the idea of this place, and was immediately drawn to the ambiance, the creative brunch menu, and the overall vibe. We ordered the biscuits and gravy appetizer, which was delicious and arrived quickly. But it was downhill from there, as we then waited almost an hour for our food to arrive. When it did, nothing was cooked to specification, and in general it was nothing spectacular. We watched several tables sit down after us and leave well before our food even arrived. When it finally did, our waitress thanked us for waiting, but there was no other acknowledgement of the absurdly long wait. We should have complained, but at that point we were in a hurry to get back to our hotel for checkout and didn't want to delay things any further. To our waitresses' credit, she removed the appetizer from the bill without our saying anything. We arrived just as a reasonably sized (though by no means overwhelmingly large) brunch rush was beginning, so I understand this kind of thing happens. That said, it wasn't a great experience.

• Visited September 2012