“Worst Mother's Day Brunch Ever”

Owen Brennan's Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 1,700 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ridgeway; Regailia Shopping Center
Description: Owen Brennan's is a family owned and operated restaurant dedicated to bringing the taste and tradition of New Orleans to Memphis. With an extensive menu and innovative nightly specials, Owen Brennan's is the perfect environment for a family get together, business lunch or just a relaxing evening on our newly renovated patio. We hope to see you soon. Laissez Les Bonnes Temps Roulez!
Reviewed May 23, 2019

We arrived at 9:15ish and patiently stood in line, by the time we made it to the hostess stand we were told that the wait would be about 45 minutes, considering it was Mother’s Day and we didn’t have a reservation we said ok. After an hour we checked back in and were told “oh, it’ll be another 15 minutes”. We said we just wanted to know if we should go somewhere else if it was going to be much longer, the hostess said “NO, NO, don’t leave” (we should have left). That 45-minute wait turned into 2 hours! We kept rationalizing saying we’ve waiting this long; it can’t be much longer. We were originally seated outside at a booth that was practically on the sidewalk. It was the farthest booth away from the buffet, people who were waiting to be seated were sitting there because they didn’t realize it was part of the eating area, because there were intersecting walkways there was a breeze blowing that added to the already chilly weather. We asked to be seated inside, we were told they would put us back on the list. We waited another 20 minutes after which the hostess proceeded to walk us back outside. At this point I said never mind, I’m out of here, it’s not worth it. She then proceeded to seat us a table near the hostess stand that I notice had been empty the entire time we had been in line (I’m sure it’s reserved for such situations). The $44 dollars was expected for a holiday brunch but the fact that no beverages were included was ridiculous. Most brunches include at the least a mimosa. The selection on the buffet was varied but the not what was expected given the reputation of the restaurant.
I enjoyed my trip to Memphis but could have skipped Owen Brennan’s.

2  Thank offonanothersearch

Reviewed May 16, 2019 via mobile

This was my first visit. I must say that is was ok...not great, but ok. The hostess was very nice and seated us in a timely manner. The food was ok, but seemed to be not the best quality. Also, the mannequin in the balcony kind of creeped me out.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

My daughter took me here for Mother's Day Brunch. We arrived at 9:30. We were told that it was a 50 minutes wait.  ln which was understanding. We didn't sit down at our table 11.40 two hours total waiting time. Once inside the food area was very small, food was tasteless.  I was so disappointed in food, service,it wasn't worth my waiting time,$44 it was very overpriced not a great food selection.

3  Thank Amari1814
Reviewed May 13, 2019

We have waited through several special occasions to get a reservation at Owen Brennan. Finally, my son was able to get a reservation for the evening before Mother's Day. Even though we had a 7:45 reservation, we were told when we arrived that there would still be a 20 minute wait to be seated. After 25 minutes, we were seated at a table that was lined up among 2 other tables with bench seating on one side and two chairs on the other. A waiter took our drink orders, returned with drinks and took our appetizer order. When the appetizer arrived, my son told the waiter that his "sweet" tea was actually unsweet. The waiter took the tea back and came back saying that someone forgot to put sugar in the sweet tea. Half way through the appetizer, the wait took our dinner order. He never asked about how the meal was going and he never refilled our drinks. Someone brought dinner, but we had to flag down the waiter when we were almost done with our meal to try to get drinks. We saw him in the restaurant cleaning off tables and talking to other members of the wait staff. When we finally got his attention, we told him we had been waiting for drinks and we were almost done with our meal. He told us that he was busy. We asked for the manager, who came to our table and asked if he could refill our drinks. At this point, we were pretty much done and frustrated with our experience. The manager did take the price of our 3 drinks off the tab. We had planned to try 3 desserts, but we could not get out of that restaurant fast enough. The food was disappointing as well. We had the crawfish tails for our appetizer and the breading on the crawfish tasted like they may have been frozen. We were really looking forward to this evening and it was a total disaster. This restaurant was ok but certainly not worth the wait or the poor customer service or being jammed into a small table so close to neighboring tables that we could hear conversation on both sides of us. There are so many great restaurants in Memphis - choose one where your business is appreciated and the food is worth the money.

3  Thank Martha F
Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

The worst brunch and service I've ever had! The hype about this place must have been done by the owners and staff! The brunch was $44 per person and beverages were extra. You would have thought at least mimosa would have been included since it was mothers day. To begin. We were told the wait time would be 45 minutes at 9:38am, we sat down to ear at 12:03 pm after being told numerous times "you'll be seated in the next 15 minutes." The buffet area is not set up very well, small and unorganized. The food was tasteless and the variety was minimal. Our server was nice but needs more training, I guess?...never clear our table of dirty dishes, it took 2 times asking for water, 2 additional place settings and to replace a cracked champagne glass! Oh yea, the only thing cajun on the buffet was crawfish...no gumbo, jambalaya, ettoffee, etc.
I could go on and on but like the brunch price it's not worth it!
I would not return or recommend this restaurant.

5  Thank passportnflipflops