“A Real Taste of The South - South Italy, That Is”
Review of Bari

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Madison Ave.
Reviewed August 11, 2017

They do it right. Excellent Italian cuisine, not just pasta and pizza. My favorite is the sardine - sardine alla graticola - dish. Mmmmm. Accompanied by sauteed Rapini, MMMMMMM!

Subdued lighting, a pleasant enviorment, and great wait staff all make this an inviting and romantic place to spend an evening.

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

We recently visited (party of 3 adults) on a Friday night. It was busy, but I called ahead for a table, so we didn't wait. The server took our drink requests from the bar, and the cocktails were amazing but very expensive. I had a spirit in a short glass that was $15. Delicious but I stopped at 1 with those prices. Food is all ordered with server all at once because it's brought in courses. They have an AMAZING cheese menu that comes with bread and oil. There are many categories of cheese, so diners just determine which ones and how many. There is then an appetizer course, and the fritters and house soup daily of roasted peppers and cauliflower were both an amazingly good choice. After soup we received entrees, so between 3 of us we shared two vegetable sides (mushrooms and cauliflower)and 2 pasta plates (rigatoni). You don't get huge portions, but that gives the opportunity to share and taste a variety of options. We finished by sharing one dessert (torte) and with coffee. Food and service were excellent. Menu isn't very large, especially if you are vegetarian as there's only one pasta that is vegetarian. As we are vegetarian, we had to get two plates of the same, single veg pasta. The prices are high, so go for an occasion or to splurge, but with a full wallet. It was $175 bill (before gratuity) for 3 of us; granted, $45 or so was alcohol, but it's not a place to get cheap, huge meals. It's a place to drink, be social and have a longer dining experience.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank jordiepoo
Reviewed June 4, 2017

This is my favorite Italian restaurant in Memphis. Yes, the entrees are expensive, but on weeks when the budget is tight, the husband I will stop in and share a big salad ($8) and each have a wonderful bowl of pasta ($10 each - rigatoni with goat cheese, portobello, garlic and broccoli is to die for, as is the carbonara).

The service is always top-notch, which means that if you're confused about what something means or overwhelmed by the extensive cheese and wine menus, you can just tell them what you like and they'll offer on-point suggestions. They'll explain anything without ever condescending. The cocktail menu is nice, but I usually just tell the bartender what liquors and flavors I like and they'll whip me something fun up on the spot.

This is also one of the rare spots where I can take my father for a nice meal as he's a little hard of hearing. Here we can have a relaxing conversation without having to shout.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed June 3, 2017

Bari is a southern Italian restaurant in Overton Square where my wife and I meet our best friends every New Years Eve for dinner. It has always been outstanding for that. You can trust their ability to present authentic Italian inspired dishes in a professional and friendly manner. Recently we've visited twice to try other areas of the establishment out which we knew were highly regarded. First the small speakeasy premium bar upstairs where the mixologist performs his work and just last night dinner at the comfortable and well run downstairs bar. We already were aware of the regular Bartender's ability to create a custom Cheese Plate and suggest the best Italian wine to serve with it, so we split one of those and had Carbonara and Branzino, a great Mediterranean fish served whole as they do it on the Amalfi coast. We couldn't have been happier with any element of our dinner. It keeps getting better at Bari's!

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

Great neighborhood bar vibe, excellent food but little pasta. Owner features recipes from his grandparent' region of Italy. Sides large enough for several people. Our group of 6 had portobello mushrooms, cauliflower, golden beets a side of pasta with broccoli, and potatoes. Entres of sardines as large as bananas, flaky salmon, halibut, sushi. We were totally pleased. C

Date of visit: May 2017

Been to Bari? Share your experiences!