“Happy Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bari

Bari
Reserve with OpenTable
Bari is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #146 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Madison Ave.
Toney, Alabama
“Happy Place”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had dinner at Bari Saturday night. Eight in our party with reservations. Table was set prior to our arrival. Hostess was happy to see us. Had drinks while waiting on everyone to arrive. The bar has a neighborhood quality. Bartender is top of his game.

The dinner appetizers were excellent. The oyster app is one of the best I have ever eaten. We washed them down with a modest white wine for the well stocked Bari cellar. $30+ for wine. I wish restaurant could get over marking up a $12 bottle that much.

The entree's were excellent. Two had Piedmontese beef that was very nice. The rest had fish. Bari focuses on fish. I wish the portions of fish were larger.

I drank dessert. Nice dessert wine / liquor menu.

Give this place a try and I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TycerTraveller

caloundra
“An elegant little Italian”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a bit out of Memphis (Overton Square) but worth the drive....It's quiet,(so we were able to converse freely !) & elegant ..,the room was quite small... the service was good ,the waitress was friendly & the meals were enjoyed by all 6 of us...nothing too much out of the ordinary (Halibut ,Spaghetti Carbonara ,Rigatoni etc).The total cost was just over $400 including a 20% gratuity....All in all,fair value... & a nice experience ...

• Visited September 2013
Oakland, California
“Fascinating Restaurant”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is trying to be something it isn't. I lived in Italy for 8 months and didn't experience this type of approach. You literally order everything at once. The food items all had great taste and flavor. In general the portions were very small. We ordered many dishes and I expected small portions but the cheese was so so small I thought it was a mistake. The little cheese board that it was brought on looked naked & empty. VThe rigatoni with mushrooms was excellent as were the scallops. But a serving of 3 scallops is pretty small and expensive @ $20. If you order the grilled sardines be prepared for chared. They gladly took it back and brought a different entree. Everything is al la carte. A good wine selection reasonably priced.

Visited August 2013
tennessee
“Pretentious”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have mulled over this dining experience for a few weeks now. We had fun with our dining companions, but if you aren't a regular don't expect anything beyond the basic. We were sent to the back room, away from the life of the restaurant. If you have read the reviews you know not to ask for anything changed on any menu item. Nothing. One of our guests is in chemo, and they wouldn't take out an item in his entree. I've been to Bari, and to Italy a number of times to visit family. I have never once encountered a meal that was so inflexible. I get annoyed when people think that this translates into authenticity, or a great chef. The food was not exceptional, the service was trite, and there are plenty of places to eat Italian food in Memphis. Glad I went, won't be back.

• Visited June 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Fromaggio y salumi”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

They have an extensive cheese and cured meat menu. The bartender picked ours for us at his suggestion and it was really good! The Lattuga salad was also very good. Try the seasonal cocktails!

Visited May 2013

Been to Bari? Share your experiences!