“50th Birthday Dinner in Memphis”

Erling Jensen Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Erling Jensen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 1,440 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Poplar
Description: Erling has fashioned our approach to cuisine: Globally inspired, and classically executed, featuring the freshest, most seasonal ingredients to produce a meal of the highest quality and caliber. As the seasons change, we will reinvent our menu, creating fresh new challenges for us and pleasant little surprises for you. This approach, while founded in the French tradition, reflects our commitment to the imaginative, eclectic, and ethnically diverse cuisine of today. We thank you for the opportunity to entertain you. Enjoy...
Larchmont, New York
“50th Birthday Dinner in Memphis”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I traveled to Memphis with my two daughters (sophisticated world travelers all) to celebrate my little brother's 50th birthday. Brother made the reservation and we were the first guests in the door - greeted by chef, sommelier and hostess as one. We were seated in the front left dining room and the first sign of good things to come was our server asking if there were any food allergies that chef needed to know about? (This level of service has only occurred for me at Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, New York & Radio in Copenhagen, Denmark), Our server immediately returned with alternate menu choices - impressive. Our opening cocktails were light and refreshing and the amuse bouche was perfect. My elder daughter and I chose the Friday evening Tasting Menu and were not disappointed. My brother had his favorites: crab cake appetizer and Bison cheeks for main finished off with their blueberry streusel that was amazing.The dining room filled up with diners who all seemed to be there for some sort of celebration. (The regulars seem to congregate at the bar and front right dining room.)
Aside from my 20th anniversary dinner in the south of France, I think I will remember this dinner as one of the three best dining experiences I have ever had. An all around winner. And in Memephis, not my native NYC...go figure. I always prefer to visit local businesses rather than chains like Capital Grill and Erling Jensen Restaurant is a US standout.

Visited April 2014

Jonesboro, Arkansas
“Very nice place to have a romantic dinner”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I found this restaurant on the "top 10" romantic restaurants in Memphis.
I agree with the list. This is an excellent choice for a romantic dinner.
Food was excellent! Service was top notch!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank William E
Memphis, Tennessee
“Want To Feel Special Go To Erling Jensens!”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

From the moment we walked in we were treated as welcome guests at a fine dining restaurant. Menu items and specials were explained with knowledge and care. Every dish included a beautiful presentation and preparation. (Very fresh food with a variety of options.) While Erling Jensens is not a vegan restaurant we had a vegan guest with us and every course was adapted for his diet and to his liking. (He commented it was like they really cared) There were little surprises between each course. We had a wonderful meal and vowed to return soon. This restaurant is fine dining but not pretentious. This would not be a restaurant where I would take small children. Highly recommend for special occassions or that night when you want attentive service and a meal you will remember for awhile.

• Visited January 2014
Erling38119, Owner at Erling Jensen Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your kind words and review. It is our staff's goal that all of our guests have a memorable experience with us and is our pleasure to accommodate any requests that we can. We look forward to seeing you soon.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent once again”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife's favorite. As usual Chef delivered yet another wonderful meal. They went the extra step to help us celebrate my wife's birthday.

• Visited February 2014
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

1 Thank vernon s
Erling38119, Owner at Erling Jensen Restaurant, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for celebrating your family's special occasion with us We appreciate your generous review of our restaurant. It is our staff's goal to meet every guest's expectation and to ensure a memorable evening. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Who knew memphis had it so good”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

We are from Chicago, so good food is not hard to find. On our last trip to Memphis we had several dinners out at the major hot spots. One was way overrated, I mean way overrated. Erlings however was not the case. We walked in and was greeted by the chef. Seemed odd but later found out he now ensures the food flows out of the kitchen at his pace for the diners. We had a cold foie gras to start that came with apricot jelly, yum. My husband always has sweetbreads, this was a hunk swimming in vegetables, the most beautiful bread and delicious buttery brown sauce. Our friends had a beautiful tuna and pineapple salad, artfully plated and with a interesting piece of dried pineapple paper all rolled up, very cool. Our other guest had a wonderful carrot soup but the garnish was the stand out piece, it tasted of airy coconut laced with lemongrass. We all commented the same, how can a soup steal the show? Entrees were all equally impressive with a Montana elk chop, Dover sole, Scallops and the most wonderful John Dory. Two words...chocolate soufflé, don't leave this little house without having it.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank David T

Been to Erling Jensen Restaurant? Share your experiences!