“Great for special occasions”

Erling Jensen Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Erling Jensen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,447 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Poplar
Description: Erling has fashioned our approach to cuisine: Globally inspired, and classically executed, featuring the freshest, most seasonal ingredients to produce a meal of the highest quality and caliber. As the seasons change, we will reinvent our menu, creating fresh new challenges for us and pleasant little surprises for you. This approach, while founded in the French tradition, reflects our commitment to the imaginative, eclectic, and ethnically diverse cuisine of today. We thank you for the opportunity to entertain you. Enjoy...
“Great for special occasions”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I first went to Erling Jensen Restaurant this June, 2013, for our anniversary and her birthday combined. Later I took my son and daughter in law for my birthday dinner. On both occasions the food was very good, the service excellent and the ambiance was just right. Too Tall was our waiter. He is a character and a good part of the dining experience in this venue. The restaurant is located in a home converted to a restaurant, so it's small and cozy. I have personally had the buffalo and the salmon along with various starters and deserts. All the food has ranged from quite good to excellent. Too Tall selects very good wines to enjoy with the meals. In each case our evenings have been most pleasant. We will definitely return.

Tennessee
“Every Customer is Valued”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently visited Erling after a show at the Orpheum with my girl pals. We sat at the bar and ordered small plates to share but don't think the servings were typical "small plates." I had a petite filet that was dinner size portion and oh so tender! One friend had the lobster sliders with aioli (a bit heavy on the mayo for me) and my other pal had the duck leg, which was smoky and rich, loved it. This was my second time to eat at Erling Jensens and I am pleased to say that the chef came to greet me both times. Be sure to look for the celebrity photos posted throughout the restaurant. My favorite is Jack Nicholson eating inside with his sunglasses on!

Tokyo, Japan
“Fallen star”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We regularly travel the world, and love to try new places to eat. It has become somewhat of a hobby to seek out the best dining options in each city that we visit and tonight we wanted to try Erling Jensen after a recommendation from a friend.

We brought a good bottle of wine that we thought would match our food selection perfectly. The meal started great, with a very tasty roasted tomato soup, and a glass of proseco. However, the food that followed was a disaster. The asparagus salad was very well presented, but lacked any kind of taste. The only savior was the thinly sliced cheese thinly spread out over the plate, and the accompanying spinach. Next we had the halibut served on a curry risotto, and the seared ahi tuna (appetizer). Both of which were disasters. The halibut was too salty and dry (not fresh, but frozen???). The risotto was luke warm. The ahi tuna was drenched in a very, very light ponzu sauce and was too salty and to sweet (fructose corn syrup??). The dishes looked ok, but they tasted more like something you would find at the local fast food restaurant, rather than something that you would find in a "high class" restaurant like this. After the food disaster we decided to skip the dessert. and just have a cup of coffee before heading home.

Wine was excellent, the dining experience was not.

1 Thank kam1sama
fort lee , new jersey
“Go for hopefully a better experience...................”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are on the fence here. Perhaps a second try is in order. Very nice staff with beautiful table setting and very nice staff. Erling comes out almost at every course. A nice man and we just could not give him the negative comments. Here they are, good and bad. Fabulous warm rolls with perfect temp butter served. We had the prixe fixe Sunday special , three courses for $38. The PEI mussels were not plump and were sandy. Good broth but who could enjoy them with sand? The lamb was touted by our server as what he is known for. Veggies were grilled with no flavor, lamb crust not really delicious. Dessert chosen was melon with prosciutto and sauce. Hard prosciutto? Weird. A nice touch was the intermezzo. We ordered the lobster pancake as an extra & it was the best part of the meal. It does deserve a second chance.

• Visited August 2013
“Stellar Memphis Fine Dining”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of taking my favourite dining companion to Erling Jensen's this Saturday evening, and as usual it was a superb experience, with a few exceptions. We arrived just prior to our 1930 reservations and were greeted at the door by the hostess. For the first time, I felt almost unwelcome at this fine dining establishment. From tone of voice to attitude, the hostess was unwelcoming. I'm not sure if it was the fact that my companion and I are both visibly tattooed or if this is the young lady's typical demeanor, but it was a slight tarnish on an otherwise perfect evening. We were shown to a table just beyond the bar and our drink orders were taken immediately. We were offered the wine list, but declined on this particular occasion. Our waitress returned with our drinks promptly and provided us with menus and an overview of the evening special. After having time to review the menu, we decided to start with the seared foie gras and saffron crawfish bisque. For entrees, my dining companion opted to have the rack of lamb and a side of brussel sprouts. I chose the daily special, halibut with crawfish and pasta. While we were waiting for our appetizers, we were offered a sample of the chef's duck confit spring roll. It was amazing, and the only complaint I have is that it left me wanting more. If it makes it to the menu, it is something I will definitely order. The bisque and foie gras arrived promptly, and we immediately tucked in. The bisque was good but a bit bland, in that it lacked salt. I can say it is the first time I've ever felt the need to add salt to a dish at EJ. With this slight addition, the bisque was perfect. The foie gras changed my life. I tried it once several years ago and was certain that I did not like it. My dining companion was anxious to try it, and I cannot deny her anything. It was the right decision. It was perfectly prepared, and the brioche and cranberry stuffed apple were excellent accoutrements. We finished both in short order and awaited the arrival of our entrees, which took no time at all. The rack of lamb was cooked rare, as ordered, and by all accounts was excellent. I am not a lamb fan, so I cannot give an accurate assessment. The only complaint is that the pecan, mustard, garlic and molasses crust was a bit charred in places, leaving a bit of a bitter after taste. The halibut was also excellent, although a little drier than I prefer. It was well seasoned, and the pasta was an excellent companion, as were the large chunks of crawfish that comprised the sauce. All in all, both entrees were excellent. To finish, we opted to have the chocolate soufflé and coffee. It was divine. It is a very "grown-up" take on soufflé, and a bit rich, so it is definitely a dessert to share. The Maker's Mark milk chocolate crème Anglaise and fresh strawberries and blackberries complemented the rich, dark nature of the dessert, making it the perfect close to an exceptional meal. Overall, we were well pleased with service and the quality of the meal. It was not "perfect", but I would venture to say the foibles here pale in comparison to the best night at the local chain establishment. If you enjoy fine dining, you would be hard pressed to find a better meal in Memphis.

• Visited July 2013