“Go for the desserts”

Description: Dip Into Something Different
Yorkshire, UK
“Go for the desserts”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A fun evening with friends, but the best was by far the desserts. The chicken, fish, beef - all relatively bland and I wasn't keen on waiting for it to cook. However, the desserts were wonderful - and varied. Next time I'll go for dessert only.

Visited July 2013

Memphis, TN
“Pretty good, but way overpriced”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've been to Melting Pots though the years. I think this is the 3rd time I've been to the one in Cordova (Memphis). I used a Groupon which made the meal reasonably priced. Without it, it would be way too high. The restaurant is very dimmly lit. If you are over 40 like I am, be sure and bring your reading glasses or you won't be able to see the menu.

My party of 2 both chose the 4-course option which includes a salad, cheese fondue, meat fondue and chocolate fondue. The price is $31-$50 per person (plus tax/tip) depending on the meats selected.

We started with the swiss cheese fondue which has always been one of my favorites. It is rather strong in flavor, so don't choose it if you want mild flavor. It was served with bread, apples and veggies for dipping. Very good.

I chose the California salad with walnuts which was incredible. My friend chose the house salad which he described as OK.

For the entree we chose the chicken/shrimp/beef plate and another plate which was identical except it was coated in Cajun spices. We both agreed that the cajun plate was better and the filet was better than the chicken and shrimp.

For the finale, we chose the turtle chocolate (Milk chocolate, carmel with candied pecans). It was served with an abundance of meats for dipping. We were rather stuffed with the whole meal, contrary to what other have been saying.

On the negative side - about an hour before we arrived at the restaurant i received a voice mail message saying that the restaurant was closed due to a plumbing issue. I didn't get the message until I arrived at the restaurant and I was surprised that they were open. Not sure what happened, but also surprised they didn't call us back to tell us they were now open.

While the quality of the food was really good, I was describe the service as just OK. The host had the temp of the oil too low for a long time and the food wouldn't cook. He had to be reminded that the oil fondue was served with tempura batter. The chocolate arrived while we still had the hot oil pot on the table. The bill was incorrect the first time, but was then corrected.

Overall - a good night with great food. The service, which should be incredible for this price, was just OK.

p.s. Groupon and other sites offer half price coupons often - be sure and have one before you go! Also - reservations are a must, and you must book days ahead of time for the weekend.

• Visited August 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Very nice”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited here recently on a Groupon deal. The setting is nice. The concept of the restaurant is what I enjoyed mostly....cooking your food at the table. I had the four course meal and everything was good. Don't come and expect to leave stuffed because you won't be. For me, it was enough food but my guy wanted more to eat. I'm not sure that I would want to visit again and spend $100+ but it's worth it for celebrations, romantic nights, etc.

• Visited August 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Terrible experience!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had a party of 4 and ordered 4 course meal each. We were given fondue for 2 for each course. Finally by the dessert, we asked for more because there was barely enough for 2 people. Our waiter was all over the place. We talked to 2 different managers. It took an hour to get our dessert order and another 30 minutes to get coffee. To top it off, our check was wrong! And what did we get for a horrible experience? A free jar of garlic wine seasoning. Yes, we spent over $200 and had a horrible experience but left with garlic wine seasoning. Lucky us. Please don't waste your time and money.

• Visited July 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“A Unique Experience; NOT to be missed !!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This may be the most unique, and possibly best meal, of your life. I have three pieces of advice:
1) Make a reservation (as tables do not turn over quickly)
2) Throw away your watch. This is a 3 to 4 hour commitment.
3) Bring extra $$ because you WILL want to tip well, and it WILL be worth it.

The lighting is low, the setting romantic (almost Zen, and I would not recommend it for young families), and in the middle of your table is a HOT griddle...be careful !!...upon which your wait person will build your opening fondue, a lovely cheese/wine mix that will have you thinking there's no need for a meal ! But the meal continues. The next course is your salad...house recipes that are not to be found elsewhere. After that is a potpourri of meats and vegetables that YOU will cook at table in a house-made broth, ensuring that all your veggies are steamed fresh. Then the piece de la resistance...the chocolate fondues served with various cakes, brownies, and cheesecakes. It will take about 3 and a half to four hours to sensually savor the entire four course meal. Couples can expect to spend about $60-75 without alcohol. Hubby and I DEFINITELY plan to go again and again !! Service is awesome as well !!

• Visited April 2013