“Houston's is good” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Houston's

Houston's
Ranked #52 of 1,429 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Huntsville, Alabama
“Houston's is good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

OK-so it's pricey. The food is great. The staff is friendly. Atmosphere is convivial. Grilled artichokes are wonderful and the Thai Noodle salad is superb. I would only slice the meat instead of cubing it- but it's great. I'll go back.

• Visited July 2014

Bartlett, Tennessee
“Good Burger, but Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I met my wife for lunch and we got the burger. I had read that Houston's hand grinds their hamburger meat each morning. The hamburger was very large and had a good flavor. The shoestring fries were very crisp with a good flavor. Overall, the burger was very good. The only problem was the price tag. We got 2 burgers, 2 soft drinks and 1 child's water and the ticket was $43 before tip. Granted Houston's is a very nice, upscale restaurant that serves premium food for a premium price. On my next trip, I will opt for a dish more suitable to a restaurant of this caliber.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alan B
Tennessee
“Less Than Expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

We visited Houston’s for our anniversary, made reservations on-line, and noted our 38th year of bliss, but apparently that news either does not get to the restaurant or they ignore it. In fact, our waiter ignored us for much of the evening. He was pleasant enough, but not enthusiastic – appeared to be just going through the motions. He asked for our drink orders while we were still getting settled into our seats, and made no wine recommendations beyond showing us the wine list. It was busy, the night before Father’s Day, but we can’t excuse a restaurant with these prices for being less than expected. They certainly were not understaffed. Our appetizer shrimp cocktail was just okay, the shrimp were overcooked and difficult to peel. Entrees were better. My prime rib was medium rare as ordered, and my wife said her ribs were good, but I noticed she didn’t finish them all, either at the restaurant or at home later. Loaded baked potato was tasty, but on the lukewarm side. We’ve had better main courses at much lower prices elsewhere. We will visit again, but based on Houston’s reputation, not on our recent experience.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bill_In_Memphis
Memphis, Tennessee
“Consistently dependable for great food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

The quality of the food and presentation has always been execellent. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. We had a vegan friend with us and they had a vegan burger and several salad and vegetable options. We made a reservation since it was Father's Day and are table was ready as promised. I had the grouper sandwich which had a salad and a nice helping of homemade slaw which was more than I could handle. I would certainly recommend Houston's for group's of adults, business associates and even dining alone. I have had many meals at Houston's and never felt slighted because of being a single party. If you have never been to Houston's it is time you give it a try!

• Visited June 2014
Midland, Michigan
“Inconsistent seating practices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Houston's restaurant in Memphis has been popular for all of the 25 years I've eaten there. I rated it excellent in the past, with an unbeatable chicken salad with peanut sauce and tortilla strips; prime rib sandwich; and the best couscous in the South. Things were consistently excellent. Changes over the decade have not been received well by us. The salad is changed, the prime rib sandwich is gone and the couscous is now insanely sweet. But the most recent change was reduce service to the tables on the patio, or so the receptionist told us. We sat there and had drinks and appetizers only while we observed nicer dressed people have full dinner served to them. Eventually we got a table indoors and the fish we had was good; but what was once a consistently excellent restaurant is changing, with every change for the worst.

Visited May 2014

Been to Houston's? Share your experiences!