“Inconsistent seating practices”

Ranked #60 of 1,494 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Houston's restaurant in Memphis has been popular for all of the 25 years I've eaten there. I rated it excellent in the past, with an unbeatable chicken salad with peanut sauce and tortilla strips; prime rib sandwich; and the best couscous in the South. Things were consistently excellent. Changes over the decade have not been received well by us. The salad is changed, the prime rib sandwich is gone and the couscous is now insanely sweet. But the most recent change was reduce service to the tables on the patio, or so the receptionist told us. We sat there and had drinks and appetizers only while we observed nicer dressed people have full dinner served to them. Eventually we got a table indoors and the fish we had was good; but what was once a consistently excellent restaurant is changing, with every change for the worst.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I was here last year. Told my girlfriend all about Houstons and got her excited. I have eaten at 3 other locations and had great food. The food I had this time was terrible. I am surprised it made it through all of the quality control they have in place. Artichoke dip was terrible, not warm, chips stale. Pineapple marinated steak was tough and lacked flavor. The fish my girlfriend ordered was way too fishy to be served. I generally love Houstons but this time that get a big fat zero. I still tipped well because the server was nice. I did not bring this to the attention of the manager because I would rather just go elsewhere and let them figure it out. I think the server got the message when the food was barely touched. I really hope they do something here. A real FLOP. Oh yeah... I had reservations and they were 30 minutes late. Reservations mean nothing here, at least that night.

3  Thank Benjamin S
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My cousin always enjoys going here when I come in town. Our service was excellent this time and food was tasty. I always feel it is a bit over priced.

1  Thank Lisa F
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed the outstanding, friendly service as well as our meals, including an incredible strawberry shortcake for desert.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

the food was very good as always, make reservations if going for dinner the wait can be pretty long. 5 stars

Been to Houston's? Share your experiences!