“Excellent food, but prices climbing TOO high!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Houston's

Houston's
Ranked #53 of 1,429 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Memphis, Tennessee
“Excellent food, but prices climbing TOO high!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my fav restaurant, luv all the food! Their Hawaiian Ribeye is the best steak in town. Fantastic seafood in a city where it's hard to find it. I go there every year for my birthday. Too many great items on the menu to mention them all!

BUT, OMG, the prices just keep climbing. I will no longer buy the chicken salads because I just can't see paying that much! Wow, the food is really great but it's now to the point of price gouging. $19 for a salad?!?! And there's not much lettuce.I don't want to give up on my fav restaurant, but these prices are ridiculous. I'll keep going, but not nearly as often.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Memphis, Tennessee
“Most Enjoyable Patio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I probably won't add anything new to the many reviews already posted, but I had such a nice evening this past weekend that I felt compelled to share the word.

My wife and I had a rare night for a date and she had never been to this staple of Memphis eatery. I have always been happy with their food, service and bar. This date was no exception to the rule.

The patio was lovely, and the weather great for enjoying the outdoor dining on one of the nicer patios in Memphis. The wait staff was entirely attentive, with everyone chipping in to bring food or refill a glass or bring a cocktail. We were not forgotten as many patio guests at other restaurants are. There are about ten to twelve outdoor tables, nothing too crowded, and nothing too loud.

We started with a salad with blue cheese dressing that was great. My wife is a vegetarian, so when they brought the salad out with a mound of real bits of bacon on top, I cheered, while she jeered. She ate around the pork, and still enjoyed the fresh greens and homemade dressing. The cheese bread that adorned the sald quickly disappeared.

I think I paid $9.00 for a crown and coke, that was not the best drink, and far from a reasonble price, but I expected that. A glass of wine was $10.00, also a bit pricey, but at this location it is expected. The bar bill was the only disappointment.

I had a filet, as I usually do, which was cooked perfectly, if not a little more fatty than I prefer. It was still good, and a good portion. Glazed carrots and peas on the side were not impressive. The wife had grille salmon with a side of green business that she liked, but I could not identify. At $30 for the filet and close to that for the salmon, three drinks and an a la cart salad for $6.00, our bill came out over $100.00.

It's not an economical restaurant by any means, and I can't give the food any more than 3 stars, but it was an enjoyable evening, and I can see why so many Memphis continue to enjoy the place. The restaurant has been hopping in East Memphis for as long as I can remember.

If you are looking for a good atmosphere, a hopping cocktail bar, but don't mind the high price for the experience, don't hesitate. We had a nice evening, but we will continue to haunt our regular places for better food at a more reasonable price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
atlanta
“Always A Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My daughter in law and I happened to be staying at the Doubletree near Houstons and saw it as we approached the hotel. We were excited as we're from Atlanta and love Houston's there. This Houston's did not disappoint. Warm atmosphere, friendly , knowledgeable staff, wonderful food!

• Visited May 2013
Germantown
“Consistently good, consistently consistent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

A favorite for Sunday brunch and weekday lunch over the years. The draw for us is the reliability of the great service, fresh, flavorful salads, and just plain relaxation. On this visit we enjoyed the chili, grilled chicken salad for my wife, a long time favorite, and the Thai steak noodle salad for me. The steak in the salad was a perfect medium, the mango fresh and the avocado perfectly ripe. We always top the meal with a piece of their key lime pie, one of the best we've had anywhere. We visit this restaurant once or twice a month, on average.

• Visited April 2013
Collierville, Tennessee
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Be sure to get the grilled artichoke appetizers. They are not on the menu. The salads are great. Love the outdoor dining during good weather.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Houston's? Share your experiences!