“Best" Garlic Butter Pizza "in Memphis once you try it, you will love it!”
Review of Broadway Pizza

Broadway Pizza
Ranked #314 of 1,494 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Very friendly service, All menu items are large portions. Need"TOO GO" box most of time !
Nice selection of beers and soft drinks. Have been eating pizza's at various resturants in
Memphis since 1970's, and this is some of the best "all around" in Memphis. Suggest going
before 6:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights as gets crowded after 6p.m. Has a variety
of other items if someone in group does not want Pizza or Spegetti. Very family friendly w/
large room to accomodate a group, w/ "call ahead" seating in advance.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Desperately busy place, and I can see why. The food is incredible, huge portions for starters and better pizza than Rome where we went last year. The decor hasn't been updated since the fifties but who cares. Service was superb (althocugh we were with regulars so that may have hepled). If you are foreign then go here as they will treat you better than royalty!

Reviewed February 3, 2011

When it comes to pizzas, one of my favorite places to go to is Broadway Pizza House, a pizza parlor located in Memphis' Broad St. Arts District. The place has been around for 34 years, and despite the good and bad times, has been a destination for pizza lovers throughout Midtown Memphis.
My favorite pizza is the Meat Lovers, which is similar to Pizza Hut's version in that it has a combination of meats such as ground beef, pepperoni, sausage, ham (aka Canadian Bacon) and pepperoni. On a thin crust with little tomato sauce and topped with cheese, the meat combination meshes well nicely, producing a juicy and seasoned flavor. With the jalapeño peppers and green olives that accompanies every pizza order, the pizza is a real treat to eat.
The other pizzas that Broadway Pizza House serves are pretty good as well. In particular, the beef pizza is pretty much like eating a cheeseburger, except that everything is on a thin crust as opposed to being between two buns. The ground beef, cooked "well done," is nicely seasoned (can't discern the seasoning; probably a combination of salt and pepper spices) and it is good enough to put in a cheeseburger (speaking of which, I have thoughts about Broadway's cheeseburger, which I'll mention later). Layered atop a light coating of tomato sauce and topped with Mozzarella cheese, this is a really good pizza.
For people who are vegetarians, vegans or others who aren't into pork or "red meat," Broadway offers pizzas that they are sure to like. One example is the shrimp pizza, a tasty pie that is light on calories and cholesterol but satisfies the appetite. By the way, Hook & Ladder's Lighter light ale is a great beer that complements this pizza well.
As for other items on Broadway's menu, I haven't had much experience with, although I tried the cheeseburger. Despite the good reviews that I read about it, I wasn't too impressed with it. It's nothing more than the typical burger with lettuce and tomato, and the meat was average in terms of taste, undistinguishable from many other places that I've been to and, in my opinion, wasn't as good as the ground beef used in its beef pizza. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the cheeseburger a 5. Not quite as good as it's hype, but the cheeseburger is decent. I guess a person can't expect a great burger from a pizza parlor anymore than trying to get a good pizza from a burger joint (please read my review on the beef pizza I had from Big Burger).
Although I wasn't impressed with the cheeseburger, I was impressed with the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. After eating Broadway's cheeseburger, I wasn't expecting much, even though the photo posted by Urbanspoon blogger Dave L looked impressive. It was because of that photo that I decided to give it a try, and I'm glad I did.
As you can see from photos posted by Dave L and I, Broadway's Philly looks like the "real deal" with the cheeses (which I've determined to be American and Swiss) melted into the strips of steak. Topped with green peppers and mushrooms which I believe was sautéed in olive oil, the sandwich had a twinge of vegetable flavor intertwined into the cheesy and meaty sandwich (the sandwich also comes with onions, which I omitted, but will include the next time I order it). Compared to the Philly that I had at Nashville's Sportman's Grille, Broadway's sandwich was just as high in the quality of it's ingredients and overall, tasted just as good. As it relates to Philly cheesesteaks that I've had at other Memphis restaurants, the Broadway sandwich is by far the best I've ever had and definitely the most authentic I've seen outside of the city that the sandwich originated from.
For anyone looking to find a true Philly cheesesteak sandwich, I recommend giving Broadway Pizza House a try. In my opinion, it's much better that Lenny's and most of the other delis in Memphis.
The service at Broadway Pizza House is pretty good overall, although I have one minor gripe. Whenever I order a pizza from Broadway, the wait time is usually between 25 to 30 minutes. Compared to places like Papa John's and Pizza Hut, the wait time is a bit long, but the quality of pizzas make the wait worth it. As recommended by the pizza place itself, it's better to call ahead of time, although the restaurant has video game machines and TVs for anyone who wants to pass the time while waiting.
Overall, my experiences at Broadway Pizza House has been very positive, for its pizzas are some of the best in Memphis that offers something for everyone. While some of its non-pizza offerings (such as the burgers) may not be as good as its "pies" (and let me emphasize the phrase "may not," for I haven't had much of anything outside of what I've reviewed), it is still is a great place to dine, especially for families. I also like the fact that it is locally owned and makes itself a part of the Broad St. neighborhood. As far as pizzas are concerned, Broadway is definitely among my favorites that I highly recommend.

1  Thank KensFoodFind