“Have been to other BBQ places in Memphis so had to try Interstate BBQ”

Interstate Barbecue
Ranked #256 of 1,692 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed May 21, 2017

We came in from Tunica and Interstate BBQ is right off the Interstate -hey, you think that's how they got their name?? We have always preferred Corky's BBQ of the BBQ places we've visited in Memphis. But we needed to try one that many swear is the best so we went to Interstate.

As a good BBQ place should be, it is not fancy-looking from the outside. We were there in the middle of the afternoon, so there was parking right in front of the place and not too many people inside. We ordered several different kinds of BBQ so we could do our comparison. I got pork ribs and brisket and my wife wanted the smoked Turkey. Her turkey was very good and moist, a trick that many BBQ places can't handle, but Interstate scored high on the turkey.
The brisket was very good, tender and had a good crust on it. The ribs were also good, although I prefer the dry rub ribs at Corky's. The food was good and the staff were very nice and helpful. We had a slice of pecan pie made by one of the women who works there. It was excellent.

I recommend Interstate BBQ and welcome the opportunity to keep trying out other BBQ places the next time we're in Memphis.

Reviewed May 17, 2017 via mobile

We go to Interstate every year we go to Memphis for Beale St music fest. The food is fantastic and the service is great!

Reviewed May 8, 2017 via mobile

On my recent visit I had to have authentic Memphis bbq, so I asked my friend to please take me to the best place in town. We went to interstate bbq. Best decision ever!!! Very sweet people work here and the food is so good!! As you wait for your meal to arrive you can look to the history of Memphis in the walls of the restaurant beginning in their early years with pictures of BB King, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, to modern day with President Obama, Congress and more. The building is small, but filled with love. I will be stopping in again on my next trip. I'm hooked.

Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

Was there for a quick dinner. I am a big BBQ fan. If this is the best Memphis has to offer (which is what they advertise) the other surrounding states have them beat. I had the pork based on the waitress recommendation. It was disappointing, the closest thing I could describe is pasta sauce.... not really but think along that line. I will stick to Georgia and Carolina BBQ but will try others in the area.

1  Thank jsle
Reviewed April 27, 2017

I waited at a table for 17 minutes without any contact from a waitress. I went to the food pass through area and asked for a waitress and was ignored. I went back to my table and within 2 minutes a waitress showed up with a tray of food for another table. She put the tray on my table and ordered me (did not ask politely, but ORDERED ME) to move to another table so that she could use my table to stage her order. Note that the place only had about 15 customers at the time and there were plenty of other adjacent tables she could have used. After she served the food to other guests, I asked her when she could take my order. She rudely replied 'I'll get to you when I can. I'm busy and I've got a headache."
I have eaten here several times when I was in town. I have referred several people here. BUT, here are the facts: the food is only average. The ribs are small and too dry. The beans are runny and tasteless. The restaurant is in a very bad area of town- essentially unsafe. The wait staff doesn't care and appreciate your business. Don't go here, especially since there are many other bar-b-q places in Memphis that are MUCH better.
I will not be back and I will let all of my traveling sales friends know not to stop here any more.

Date of visit: April 2017