“The hype is way too much for awful food”

Interstate Barbecue
Ranked #224 of 1,506 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The restaurant stays open till 10:00, but the food checks out way before. Everything was dry and we ate the sampler plate which has a little of everything. The beef ribs were so, so dry, and the pork rib had a fishy taste, yes, fish!! This place was a huge disappointment.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

There is an eat-in side and a carry-out side, which we visited. The girl who took our order was super sweet and friendly. I loved her. It was well worth the dicey location just to chat with her.

Overall, this place seemed kinda dirty and tired, but the food was good. I had a chopped pork sandwich and sweet potato pie. The pork was tasty but with so much sauce I couldn't really taste any smoke flavor. It did taste good, though. The pie had good structure but was so super-overly-sweet that I couldn't eat it. This was above and beyond sweetness. Now I know how downhome folks cook and have eaten plenty of sweet southern food in my life, but this was too much.

Since it is impossible to try everything at every BBQ restaurant, I still say this is a good place to visit. They are known for ribs, but I'm not into ribs. Still, I would recommend them if you are in the area. I'm not sure how safe I would feel after dark, though.

1  Thank Curtis24401
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Had been in Memphis all week but no barbecue. Stopped by this spot at the Memphis Int'l Airport so I could remedy that. Also recognized the Neely name. My sandwich was very large and the sauce was tasty. Also found "no fat" which is a big plus for me. Sweet tea was disappointing as it tasted like it was made from a concentrate - not fresh. Would probably go back here again.

1  Thank MaxaMM
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I grew up an hour from Memphis and IMHO, it is the only style of barbecue to enjoy. Jim Neely's welcomed me back with some down home flavor.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I've spent a 3-day weekend in Memphis and visited a total of 6 BBQ places. This was the best, hands down. Great value, great rib tips, awesome sides, and superb service. Which is something you can't say about many places nowadays. It is open late, which is great for overseas tourist that are used to having dinner at 9 or later like us, and it's not far from downtown. The place is really neat and not run down like others we've been to in the same area.

1  Thank Vickita78