“Excellent!”

Central BBQ
Ranked #14 of 1,481 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Convenient locations, including behind Civil Rights Museum. Smoked Beef (brisket), turkey, ribs, pork... great Mac'n'Cheese too.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Happened along another location for my most favorite BBQ in Memphis, MUCH BIGGER than the Central Ave location. Open, airy, a lot of room to dig into a rack or a plate of BBQ'd nachos
Excellent offering of local beverages on tap, that was worth the stop, even without the food!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We have some incredible BBQ in the city of Memphis. And I can’t tell you how many locals I know love Central. So much so that I’ve always felt like I’m supposed to like it if I’m really a Memphian. But here’s the thing… it’s good and all, but it’s not Corky’s. Or Showboat. Or Three Little Pigs. When most all the BBQ in your city is good, you end up having to choose between many good options. And for me, Central just isn’t the top of my list. But again, it’s a huge favorite with many of my friends.

They have these homemade chips that my husband really liked, but I definitely did not. They taste almost burnt to me, but he loves all things crispy and smokey. So again, you can see how so many things come down to personal preference.

The pork on their pulled pork sandwich was a little dry (something I’ve noticed several times when I’ve been to Central) and their sauce just isn’t my favorite. Again, this doesn’t mean that it’s “bad”… it’s just that we have other BBQ places here in Memphis that I think are better.

Their coleslaw and beans were both pretty non descript. Tasty, but not overwhelmingly great. Again, not overwhelmingly bad either, haha!

But as a fun bonus, you get a cup to bring home with you :)

So the moral of this story… Central BBQ is good. But in my personal opinion, Memphis has even better BBQ to offer. :)

1  Thank Rach V
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were in Memphis to taste ribs. This did not seem to be the right spot. The ribs were dry the sauce was good. You order and pay before being seated. The slaw was good and so were the baked beans. The chips were really good. The décor is basic like a cafeteria. The service was good and the staff friendly. Plenty of free parking. There is outside sitting but it was reserved that day for a party. This location is behind the Lorraine Hotel/Civil Rights Museum.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Not a fancy restaurant by any stretch, Central BBQ makes up for it all with the best BBQ around (or so most reviews say). I would agree! The ribs were close to perfect--tender and tasty, but with enough firmness to make them say on the bone as you eat. The pulled pork was excellent, and the beef brisket was also outstanding. The various sauces were all very good; I preferred the sweet sauce.

Sides also were very good, and the sausage and cheese starter was wonderful. Portions are large--you will not go away hungry. Highly recommended, and I would definitely go here again.

Been to Central BBQ? Share your experiences!